Tuesday, September 19, 2006

September 7th & 8th in Paris


September 7th, 2006: Today's most notable activities involved secondhand designer stores. I saw two, and both times my jaw dropped. For the first time in my life I saw designer things that I could blatantly afford, even though my budget might be blown post-purchase. The problem is, I am going to H&M, Collette, Printemps and Galeries Lafayette, all epicentres of French shopping. So I started to weigh options. Why do I want this? For some status brand name? What do I want status for? But the one piece will last my entire life! But I want more clothes than less! But I already have lots of clothes and no designer things (minus an Yves St. Laurent belt)! *sigh* I hate fighting with myself. No side ever wins because the arguments are always too powerful...

September 8th, 2006: Mon Dieu, what a day! May this date go down in (personal) history as the day that Isabel took Paris! In the morning, I was feeling distressed after last night's conscience argument and had no idea where my money would lead to. I was thrifty at H&M, buying only a cute necklace and a cream coloured headband with a bow on it. Zara was right next door so I decided to pop in for a look and ended up leaving with a simple black dress and emerald cardigan and sparkly peep-toe flats, bearing a frightening resemblance to Manoush. After Zara was a bigger, better H&M where I regret not buying a brown sweater with cats on it (sounds silly, maybe that decision was for the best). I don't regret not purchasing the Madonna tracksuit. That thing is u-g-l-y. Porr Madonna, having a momentary lapse in consciousness by allowing herself to promote such a chavvy rag. On to Galeries Lafayette, a 7 floor designer department store. Though no specific piece caught my eye, at least I got to touch Vivienne Westwood clothes. Now for Colette, apparently the trendiest store in Paris. I was expecting a store with that reputation to be much bigger, but clearly they value quality over quantity. Here I bought two books on street fashion. One was that Japanese magazine "Fruits" and the other is called "Identity". Ironically close to Colette was one of the secondhand designer stores! I still had Euros burning a hole in my pocket so I really had no choice but to adopt a darling Gucci wallet. It really just leaped into my hands through the glass cage in was being contained in. Here is a personal thankyou to Tom Ford for making me very happy. Or maybe I should be thanking Frida Giannini because she used to be a bag designer? I'll let them fight it out and whoever doesn't die can be the sole receiver of that compliment. So ends my day in true Paris form. I didn't buy too much, I didn't buy too little and I bought something that will last the test of time. Plus, with some leftover money, I treated my aunt, uncle and their French friend Martine all to gelato. It has been a tres bien trip. Abientot! (Okay, I'm not sure of the alt coldes for the correct accents to put on the letters.)


Note: the picture of the Gucci wallet is not actually mine. I'll post various pictures from the trip at a later date. Namely when school isn't revoltingly busy.

5 comments:

Viva Las Divas said...

I have that h&m headband!
but from spain not paris, sadly.

dusk&summer said...

congrats on your gucci find lol :)

Anonymous said...

Hey,nice blog!!! Won't you check out this website I found where you can
make a little extra on the side... wink wink ;) Visit Our Site

buttonsandstars said...

You know, I think I know what cat sweater you mean... I forced my friend to try it on becuase I thought it might be one of those things that look better on. It really did look better once you were wearing it! I guess you gotta have a lot of confidence to carry it off though.
Btw, those secondhand designer shops sound fabulous!

Alison said...

uggghh, all your stories are making me really want to go right now! Luckily I only have to wait a few weeks....