Saturday, December 09, 2006

Knockoff Nation


Instead of doing work in English Literature class yesterday, I spent the period engaging in an excellent conversation about fashion with my friend Caileigh and two fabulous ballet dancers. We talked of Paris, Rock & Republic and most notably, knockoffs. Apparently there's a kiosk in the local mall that is hawking knockoffs. I thought they just sold bad perfume and pyramid belts but apparently I was wrong. When inquired if he sold any Burberry scarves the small Indian man opened up a secret drawer and revealed "I have a black one and a brown one. And if you come back in a week, I will go on Ebay and get more" . He's also been glimpsed selling faux Chanel purses among other brands. I'm not a fan of knockoffs at all, but this mall man is intriguing me and perhaps I will go to investigate his wares sometime this week.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What kind of utopia do you live in? At the local mall here, there are stands operating exclusively in fake Burberry. And that's just the half of it. Did you know that there are Vera Bradley knockoffs now? How is that designery enough to justify knockoffs?

Sarah said...

you definitely should. see if they have any knock chloe bags, they're quite nice

molly said...

i think you should befriend this man.

because he sounds funny

claire said...

i love knockoffs, that's how my 'chanel' ballet flats came about...

ariana said...

I bought a knockoff Burberry scarf in Austria.


and darn proud of it! haha, Molly's right. He'd be loads of fun I'm sure.

Anonymous said...

I'm not really crazy about knock-offs, probably because I've glimpsed too many fake LV and Chanel bags around my school.

The thing is, they look terrible, all hard with logos covering every inch of their surfaces. That's why they're fakes, because the originals weren't that impressive to begin with if they can be cheaply replicated. And hard leather is a deal breaker with me.

Lulu Fruitloops said...

ahahah stealth knock off selling...

Caileigh said...

yay .. i was mentioned in your blog .. that makes me smile

:)

<3