Monday, January 01, 2007

Ghost World


I have finally found a kindred spirit in a movie character. Thora Birch's character, Enid, in Ghost World is me. We're both cynical, kooky and somewhat Jewish. I'm less monotone and can't draw, but Enid has gained solid ground in my good books. The way she dresses is ridiculously fabulous. Her barettes, random tee-shirts and combat boots reminisce the spirit of hipster-dom before it was eclipsed by the mainstream. More people probably resemble her now than when the movie came out, but I still think that her "out there" style is highly underappreciated. The movie itself is an amusing piece of work, and I highly recommend you watch it if you agree with any of the opinions expressed in this blog.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favourite thing about that movie was her love of crazy Indian music and the way she changed her hair colour sooo easily. But please don't relate to her so much that you sleep with Steve Buscemi, or anyone remotely resembling him.

Time Freedom Fighter said...

baby eczemaAtopic eczema is the most common type of eczema and is sometimes linked with hay fever and asthma in several patients. Atopic eczema can occur in almost any part of the body; it is very common among infants on the forehead, cheeks, scalp, forearms, and legs. Many people with eczema also suffer from several allergies; your doctor may perform allergy tests to find out what all you are allergic to.

Anonymous said...

I love the name Enid for a movie character.

Anonymous said...

It's too bad Thora Birch didn't go on to do much more. I liked her so much in this flick.

Anonymous said...

very good film

Nik said...

how i came across your blog was just by googling "thora birch t-shirt" and voila!

and while i'm here, i just have to say:

i agree with your paragraph reflection on awesome Thora. when i first saw it many, many years ago, i was so obsessed with her, i made my mom call me Thora for a week. this was in maybe the 8th grade, so very typical. and i didn't realize it but you're right, her "style" is entering the mainstream. hmmm.

okay, i'm done.

Nik said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ceciliotis said...

Pleease tell me you've read the comic/graphic novel/whatever you want to call it. It's amazing and you would definitely love it--I'm thinking more than the movie, for sure.

Enid's character is just more intense and punk-ish.