Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Style Schizophrenia

Mary-Kate and Ashley - Well known for their collective style schizophrenia

The first step to solving a problem is admitting you have one, so here it goes. My name is Isabel and I am a style schizophrenic. Sometimes I like to vamp it up in form-fitting black dresses and sleek heels, but I'm equally partial to floaty vintage lace. Then there's the 'rock-chick' vibe I exude most often with my band shirts and perpetually unbrushed wavy hair. Sometimes it's fun to play characters but other times it's just plain confusing. Who am I, and why don't I have a signature style? I would love to have one signature style that I can always depend on, but that's not a decision that can be forced. I suppose I'm still searching for my "indentity", so the closest I can come to taming me style is to just plain admit what works on me and what doesn't.

What DOES work on me:

  • Neutrals: Black, white and grey. Yes, anything to tame the beast that is my out-of-control personal style.
  • Patterns: It sounds like a contradiction to rule #1, but it's not. So long as the pattern is in a neutral colour, it's safe. A dash of plaid, polka dots and animal prints are almost necessary to jazz up the neutrals with.
  • Leg-Enhancing Silhouettes: I don't really know what constitutes an "attractive" leg. All I know is that I'd like to look taller than 5"5, and the way to do that is by baring a lot of leg in either minidresses and skinny jeans.
  • T-shirts: I am inseparable with my t-shirts. We often don't leave each other's arms for days.

What does NOT work on me:

  • Cartoon characters: As much as I admire Hello Kitty, I put my foot down on "cute". Unless the cute has a dash of irony a la Emily the Strange, cutesy cartoon characters will not be entering my wardrobe or jewelery box any time soon. As much as I admire people who can pull off the "walking Sanrio billboard look" aplomb, it just doesn't work on me.
  • Loud Floral Prints: I am not a country-club matron. I am not classy or old. I don't like my clothes to scream at me or anyone who lays eyes on them, therefore I abstain from loud floral prints.
  • Most colours: Aside from neutrals, the only colours I wear are green, blue and red. Pink makes me look like Lolita. Orange makes me look edible. Yellow makes everyone look like Big Bird. End of story.

So there it is. I will try my hardest to abide by these guidelines in the 12-Step Solution to solving my "problem".

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

good luck but i don't think doing a little bit of everything is a bad thing

Anonymous said...

i admire this post because i, too, am constantly lamenting how my "signature style" switches from week to week!

*emma* said...

hey isabel, remember me? the bubble gum cynic? i think you left the first ever comment on my blog.
i'm making a new blog to replace my mysteriously vanished one, so please check it out if you are so inclined.

Anonymous said...

www.alarmclockcatastrophe.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Good for you isabel! the first step is just admitting you have a problem.

Anonymous said...

i completely agree about cartoon characters and the whole leg thing.I'm only 5ft 4 and it sucks c=sometimes, but it means i can wear sky scraper stilettos which i love!

Anonymous said...

You are diverse, won't be boxed in, unrestricted, experimental!

Cute cartoony is just wrong, inappropriate even, past a certain age.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the disdain for Sanrio. It gets to be a little weird after the age of 11-12, if that.

megan said...

i have the same problem! one day i'm channelling sienna miller, the next it's all about prep and the next i'm like kanye west or something! i suppose fashion does depend on mood. it's not such a bad thing to be diverse, but it is always good to have that one signature thing you can fall back on when all else fails. i suppose mine is longsleeve tees, dresses from h&m and delias, footless tights and flats.

Anonymous said...

are we twins seperated at birth?
i dress completely the same!
the only colour i wear is blue and green. i never wear cartoon characters or floral prints.
im almost ALWAYS in a band t-shirt and skinny jeans/ minidress...crazy!

Anonymous said...

lol after reading this i just self diagonsed my self with the same thing.