Saturday, January 27, 2007

Tabi

I'm no manga-nerd, but Japan seems like a pretty cool destination. It may be Gwen Stefani or it may be Fruits street-style magazine (likely the latter), but something about Japan's contemporary, cutting-edge style intrigues me. I just discovered Cool East Market and am curious as to your thoughts and reactions on the shoes featured below.




I'm inclined to label them "hare-lip boots" but these, Tabi (as they are called in Japan) have an undeniable appeal. If you don't do Doc Martens and are too cool for Converse, I think Tabi could be an unassuming way to make an outfit original. No one has them, and even less would even consider wearing them. Perhaps that's why they're cool - it takes guts to wear something this polarizing. Though I don't plan on spending $33 (cheap!) for a pair imported from Asia, I fully admire anyone who does.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

To tell you the truth, I think they look more funny than rebellious, or whatever the aim is. I'm just fine wearing four-year-old red Converses with purple shoelaces, thanks.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE TABI.

Anonymous said...

I'm not feeling the shoes

Anonymous said...

curious lol

Anonymous said...

apparently the kids are wearing them already. i don't know though, to me they make feet look disturbingly like deer hooves.

sara said...

Those are the ugliest things i have ever seen.

my opinion whatever