Saturday, February 03, 2007

The Tin Trend

If I only had a heart...
The Wizard of Oz was always my favourite movie growing up, but I always found style inspiration from Dorothy instead of the Tin Man. Metallics are old news trend-wise, but are currently undergoing a space-age revival at Balenciaga, Hussein Chalayan etc. I was never a convert to metallics before. Shiny purses and shoes always looked gaudy to me, but retailers are getting things right the second time around. Though the part of my heart dedicated to metallic purses remains icy and unaffected by global warming, I'm really warming up to metallic shoes. Since most of my outfits are black and grey, a gold or silver shoe would add the appropriate POP! effect I desire. There's a pair of silver almond-toe mary janes at Winners that I'm keeping my eye on. If they continue to consume my thoughts, I might just have to make them mine.

8 comments:

Alison said...

Metallic shoes are on the rise... it's just fun to wear something like that on your feet!

Tru said...

love that movie

Carissa said...

I love metallic shoes, they make my uniform of neutrals look fresh.

marY said...

i like the concept of metallics.. but in the highschool sphere of things, they're kind of hard to wear without looking "blinged." (what a terrible terrible word!) but they definitely can be done well.

molly said...

i just bought some metallic shoes at value village! gold fake snakeskin. $5.99...yesss
ok, ok, they're superuncomfortable. ill just keep them around to gaze at them.

unfortunately, barbarella is only softcore. but she does have lots of "old-fashioned" sex. you should definitely check it out

ambika said...

Agreed that the trend has been done to death but I still get drawn to bronze tones without fail, *especially* in shoes.

Flashy_Shades said...

i have also only recently warmed to metallics and i think you're right -- shoes are the way to go

maya said...

i love metallic shoes so much!
i used to have a pair of shoes just like dorothies but i wore them so much that the sole came off and i had to throw them away.
that was one of the worst days of my life