Thursday, August 02, 2007

Oh Bondage Up Yours!


Oh Nu-Rave...what a spectacularly hilarious trend. Now that it's kind of on it's way out, I can reveal what I think inspired it. And what do I think inspired it? X-Ray Spex (1970s punk band).

Honestly, check out the cover art for two of their albums. All colours used on the 'Germfree Adolescents' cover (below) are bang on what you'd see if you walked into MisShapes or Boombox in London.

As for the 'Live at the Roxy Club', could the Ray-Ban Wayfarers be any more obvious? Now that everybody cool on this side of the planet owns a pair, it really couldn't.

Yes, Mr. Brooklyn. I know your secret. You listen to X-Ray Spex. Well, if you want to know a secret, I do too. In fact, anyone who knows anything about early British punk history probably does as well. So nice try at being obscure, buddy, because your secret isn't safe with me. Ahahaha! At least you have good taste in music...



I highly suggest downloading 'Oh Bondage Up Yours!' or 'I'm A Poseur' or maybe even 'The Day the World Turned Day-Glo' if you want to fully understand this post. I can't promise you'll like them (Poly Styrene does have a screechy voice), but I can promise that their artwork totally started this trend.

5 comments:

Shelby said...

If you like X Ray Spex, you might also like the Slits! They are also hottie Englsih female punks who rock like WHOA. Check out ping pong afffair. They too, are somewhat screechy, but are awesome.

Eli said...

I dunno, dont really like this. But, I guess its a new york thing.

Charlemagne said...

Stupid trend, I think. AND I'm from New York.

I have a question. I'll be traveling to Quebec City soon. Any chance you know anything interesting someone of similar tastes like you might like doing or seeing? I'm talking, well, SHOPPING mainly of course.

Thanks.

Isabel said...

Shelby: Don't worry, I know who the Slits are. I'm quite well versed in the '70s punk and riot grrl scenes. You'd be hard pressed to find a band I'm not already aware of.

Eli: At least it doesn't take itself too seriously...

Charlemagne: Unfortunately, I've never been to Quebec City so I don't know af any cool shopping haunts there. But in wintertime, the Ice Hotel looks pretty rad.

Maddy said...

I rolled my eyes SO HARD at this post. This particular musing was much more hipster than I am used to!