Thursday, September 20, 2007

Stratford Shakespeare Festival

I have been absent due a trip to the Shakespeare Festival in Stratford, Ontario. I saw the Merchant of Venice, which was amazing. "If you prick us, do we not bleed?" Truer words were never spoken by Shylock, who was played by Graham Greene (Kicking Bird in Dances with Wolves/Mr. Crabby Tree in Dudley the Dragon, which was the greatest kids' show ever!!). However, the part you are probably most interested in is the costuming. I will not disappoint! I took a tour of Stratford's costume warehouse, which is home to around 50 000 magnificent stage costumes.

A shoe display. Those clown shoes are outrageous!! They were originally conventional mens' dress shoes but were built upon by professional cobblers.

My hilarious gay tour guide named Rod mentioned how and why the Stratford Festival spends a lot of money on vodka, syringes and condoms every year. The vodka is used to take body odour out of costumes. The syringes are used for precise gluing of stage props. The actors' microphones are put in condoms to keep them dry, because if they get wet from the actors' sweat, they will malfunction. It's all fascinating, isn't it? Of course the trip would not be complete without trying on some costumes for myself.

This costume was way too big so I had hold it up in the back. The massive skirt was fun nonetheless. I'm not sure what production it was from but it reminds me of the Sound of Music.

I feel like Romeo in this poofy Courtier's jacket, which fit surprisingly well. Why oh why couldn't I have taken it home with me?

6 comments:

missc said...

I love Shakespeare festivals. I visited Stratford a couple year back,and loved it so much. This year I got to see Romeo and Juliet at Bard on the Beach (Vancouver's very own Shakespeare festival). Costume designers have the most fun.

S. said...

Great fun post! I love the picture of the shoes and the story about the vodka, condoms, syringes.

Alexandra said...

That sounds like it was so much fun!

buttonsandstars said...

That sounds awesome! Loving the jacket... :P

Tru said...

that would have been so fun if you could have raided the costumes and taken some home with you

Eli said...

is it like a renaissance fair?