Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Indie Tribes

Everybody knows an indie kid when they see one, but there are so many different types of 'indie' that there is no one solid classification. Here I've classified a few different indie stereotypes, all in good fun. Hope you enjoy.

Tea Cosy Indie (Female): Favourite bands include Iron & Wine, Devendra Banhart and Bright Eyes. In fact, anything released by Saddle Creek Records qualifies as a 'favourite'. Usually seen shopping for vintage boots, floral granny dresses and slouchy cardigans at the local Goodwill. They love to knit, drink tea and bake. These granny-like interests coincide with their idolization of the free flowing days of yore a.k.a. the 1960s and 1970s. Generally vegetarian, always kind, never seen without her trusty bicycle.

Nerdcore (Male): Continues to dwell on the tv shows and video games of his youth, like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Transformers and Super Mario. Most likely owns a synthesizer so he can recreate the theme songs. Eats pop tarts for breakfast and makes ironic movie references to the point of irritation. Attire is usually quite simple: striped t-shirt, blazer or cardigan, jeans, Converse and messenger bag covered with buttons that display his wide array of pop culture knowledge.

Artiste Indie: Pretends to appreciate the finer things in life but probably couldn't tell Baudelaire from Proust. Lives to be seen smoking a cigarette while reading something conspicuous at the local coffee shop, like William Burroughs or Allan Ginsberg, while constantly looking over their book to see if anyone is watching. Always poor and unemployed, but that just gives them more artist's credibility. They think they have enough talent to make it big, but would never ever sell out.

Party Indie: Personified by Cory Kennedy. Always wears outrageously outrageous getups just to get noticed. They live for drugs/alcohol and judge their quality of living by two things. #1. How bad their hangover is. #2. How many pictures were taken of them at the party. Listens to M.I.A. without realizing that her lyrics are political. Shameless exhibitionist.

To Kate, who is wondering where to shop: St. Vincent de Paul's is sketchy, but there's tons of great cheap stuff. Value Village is a classic, but I think they raised the prices so I don't shop there as much anymore. Boretski Vintage is expensive but so worth it. When in doubt, go to Old Navy. I promise I won't tell anyone. Whatever you do, don't go to Salvation Army. It's crappy around here.

19 comments:

buttonsandstars said...

Oh no! I fit quite a lot into Tea Cosy Indie!! Although I don't listen to those bands... But I do wear floral dresses and knit! I knit a lot... And I have a weekly tea-room lunch avec mes amis! And I'm vegetarian, though I have been for 10 years. Does it count? I do not have a bicycle though. I can't actually ride a bicyle, which is pretty sad!

P.S. Isabel! I think I'm coming back into the blogosphere any day soon. Just need to prepare some posts!

discothequechic said...

This is so spot on, I can't even tell you!

And it even applies to the indie kids over here too.

I'm a little from each, only the good parts of course!
I listen to M.I.A (seeing her saturday yeahh), drink Peppermint tea and hang out in cute coffee shops.

ahh, your tribes and lists posts are fantastic! Gussh.

Madeline said...

I am totally a Tea Cosy Indie. I mean, I was knitting as I was reading this.

morgan said...

I am more Tea Cosy Indie than anything else....although I do read books in coffee shops..hmmmmm

Emma said...

God, you are genius.

Heather said...

haha! I think I am artiste indie! Have you seen yourscenesucks.com? It's hilaaarious.

mary said...

one of my best friends is a tea cosy indie, and i guess i kinda am too. im acquainted with my fair share of party indies and ive been known to fall into that category every couple weeks

stupidcupcake said...

Ha ha, this is great.
I must be a cozy tea indie/ Nerdcore in female version...

Eli said...

you need to document this with some pictures and comparisons

Stararah said...

I a bit of a female Nerdcore. At least when it comes to interests.
I'm also a bit Tea Cosy Indie. I have the style, and love to knit, drink tea, and bake. But, I prefer jazz or Oldies music. And I like meat a lot.

Hm. I must be a poser indie. Haha.

Anna said...

Have you read The Hipster Handbook?
(http://www.amazon.com/Hipster-Handbook-Robert-Lanham/dp/1400032016/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1197589512&sr=8-1)
There are something like 8 classifications in there!

yoncto said...

haha. everyone who commented is a tea cosy indie. i'd probably be split between art indie and party indie. because i'm all for having a crazy time and not really remembering what happened in the morning (not that thats happened to me.. YET xD) and i draw all the time and also like classic books that make you look intelligent xD (but no, i actually enjoy reading the books though haha)

morgan said...

really?????
huh
well at least it doesn't reflect in her clothes....cool blog by the way...love the pics!

Jello on Springs said...

Oh my, im a tea cosy indie then =O Except I don't knit and I don't know how to bake but everything else is pretty spot on, including my love of goodwill, vintage boots, granny dresses, and the 1960s. And my boyfriend is a nerdcore haha err =/
but yeaa thank you, I've gone through your posts, you've got an amazing sense of style as well.

Heather said...

Oh and my boyfriend is Nerdcore spot on from the Transformers to the Pop-Tarts, only he enjoys strange things, too, like giant rubber rats and Santa Claus hats.

Tru said...

as always i love the post

Rhiannon said...

These are really very true . . . I think I might dress like a tea cosy indie too! Except I'm no vegetarian, and listening to any of those bands would put me to sleep.

Hope it's ok that i just nominated you for a little blogging questionnaire! It's a fun one! It's not too corny! :)

Kate said...

I'm a tea cosy (meat style)/ artiste. And a nerd.

:P

And thanks so much for the info!!!


Happy holidays everyone!

princessmillatwoshoes said...

my business studies module is getting nowhere thanks to your back catalogue of posts, but at least I've discovered my (not so) secret identity as a Tea Cosy indie gal'. I recently purchased a tea cosy as a matter of fact and am planning to move back to the land. thanks for all the procrastination goodness!