Sunday, December 23, 2007

Winter Boots: Hell in a Handbasket

Shopping for winter boots is a nightmare. Let me explain the matter in detail. I have a decent pair of winter boots, but they have one shortcoming - they only fit under pants, not over them. When only the bottom of the boots are showing, they look matronly. Furthermore, this means I cannot wear skinny jeans in the winter without my ankles freezing. I need protection from inclement weather! It is blasphemy, dangnabbit! The only “suitable” boots I’ve been able to find are Uggs, which are not suitable at all if you don’t feel like burning your retinas with ugliness. My mom swears on Sorels, but despite their functionability, they’re not much more attractive than Uggs.

I wouldn’t mind a pair of moccasin boots, but they always seem to come with fur or fringe embellishment.

The solutions must lie in a pair of plain moccasin boots (like these) or Moon Boots. Moon Boots are a lot more obnoxious than what I’d like to be wearing in the wintertime, but at least they’re fun.

The only problem is, I have no idea where to find them.

11 comments:

the iron chic said...

Sorels are for when you can't fuck around. Since every fashionista with feet already has the beige ones, I opted for a more discreet black pair.I also have cute vintage leather boots with a little heel that are lined! They must have faux fur lining. I wore those every single day of last winter.

Kate said...

I have the same problem
I need something warm/ doesnt make my feet wet because of the snow ect.
le blarg

Maddy said...

Also, they are far worse than Uggs. Go for the mocassin boots.

yoncto said...

the obvious solution: doc martens!
duh...
only buy the tall kind because 1) they are cooler and 2) they offer more weather protection.

Heather said...

Those moccasin boots are cute! Have you checked out Minnetonka?

Kate said...

wouldn't snow ruin docs?

Timewarp said...

If you took care of them by using lots of leather protector and cleaning off the snow when you came inside they should be okay.

Elle said...

Hmmmm... I saw those Moon Boots in quite a few ski shops when I was in St Moritz. Check out your local ski gear shop?

donna AND navaz said...

Oh! I LOVE the pic of the rainbow coloured moon boots! May have to steal it for our blog - would you mind terribly? I suggest biker boots as a solution to the practical-but-cool footwear conundrum. You can wear them with straight-skinny jeans but they need a wee turn-up to show off the buckle.

Navaz

maryse said...

where are the moccasin boots from??

Hayley said...

ya, where are those moccasin boots from?