Sunday, January 27, 2008

Jeez, boat shoes.


Boat shoes are a strange and polarizing item of footwear. I myself have hated them for a long time, until I flipped through an L.L. Bean catalogue about a week ago. (Yes, my family receives the L.L. Bean catalogue. I got a Fair Isle sweater from it two year ago - don't judge!)My immediate stream of consciousness went a little like this: "Oh look, its those ugly boat shoes again. I would only wear them if I was an arrogant New England preppy guy named Chase. Hey wait, those boat shoes look like the sturdier version of moccasins. I LOVE moccasins! Maybe I would wear those normally? I think I just lost all punk rock credentials..."

And that is precisely how my attitude towards boat shoes softened up a little. I probably won't be buying a pair any time soon, but if a magical fashion fairy offered me a pair for free, there's no way I would refuse. Then I would wear them to a punk rock show (not that there are any good ones around here), because wouldn't it be so PUNK ROCK to wear preppy shoes at a venue where everyone else is wearing Converse or Doc Martens? I'll save my Doc Martens for the next time I'm yachting, thank you very much.

11 comments:

miss hautttefashion said...

love your blog and your hm...commentary/writing.
i agree with what you said. i probably wouldnt buy those shoes but theyre not as bad as i expected!

Stephanie said...

Haha, that's great. I used to have the exact same thoughts about boat shoes until...well until I came to the same realization. That's a bit weird.

But anyway, I think you should definitely wear those to a punk rock show! It reminds me of this punk-loving friend of a friend who dresses uber preppy (Lacoste polos, etc) because she doesn't want to look like all the other punk kids. And isn't that more punk than anything? Eh, I just used the word punk way too many times..

Charming Heart said...

I actually had a disdain for boat shoes too. But I loved mocasins, and I was looking for mocasins on the L.L Bean website, when I came across some boatshoes and I fell in love. They look like a mocasin, loafer hybrid and they are super comfortable. They are very preppy looking though, so I wear them when I want to look intelectual. Haha. I think that if you wear them right anything can be cool and defy stereotypes.

Annie said...

omg ive wanted a pair of these since like forever now. i should get on buying this pair ive been eyeing.

the iron chic said...

603967 escaped from a retirement home in Florida.

You Are Here said...

Mm, moccasins. I'd wear boat shoes to a punk show too, but you thought if it first so I'd be ripping you off and that's not very punk now, is it?

Emily said...

Actually, punks don't really wear Doc Martens anymore. They have sort of a skinhead association, which is not punk. And since Converse is now owned by Nike, wearing them isn't considered terribly "punk" either.

Additionally, I have a pair of Sperry Topsiders, and I don't think I have ever owned a more comfortable pair of shoes. They last pretty long, too, and are just starting to be kind of stylish (which is a plus).

Kate said...

IEmily, I was jsut about to mentions Sperry Topsiders and how bad I want a pair!

http://www.sperrytopsider.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=1048&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=150&iSubCat=151&iProductID=1048&sColor=489

Kate said...

oh! or these plaid ones!!!!

http://www.sperrytopsider.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=1133&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=150&iSubCat=172&iProductID=1133&sColor=507

Jorge said...

As a guy who sails (someone else's sail boat), Dock shoes are the ish, Maybe wear'em with some decent shorts and a long sleeve and you got a guy that says

"Hey I'm not really from New England or own a sail boat but damnit I'm trying to look like a grown-ass man"

nicole.nicolson said...

I own a pair of shiny blue "Sperry Topsider" boat shoes and they are fabulous (not as fabulous as Doc Martens, agreed). I'd say they're wearable to a punk rock show, as I've done it before. Heh.