Sunday, February 10, 2008

University Fashion Lesson 101

As I just picked out my University today, I thought it would be an appropriate time to divulge one of greatest fears: dressing like a University student. As in, hoodie with school name emblazoned on it and sweatpants with the school named oh-so-subtlely printed on the ass. It'd just a bad, bad look. If you want to be comfortable, then just bloody go to American Apparel. AA clothing is probably cheaper, too.


Of course, there's nothing wrong with school spirits but I just wish that Universities tried a little harder to make their wares more fashionable. After all, I want to be proud of my school!

Ahh, yes. I will be attending the University of Waterloo for Environment and Resources Studies. There is probably no subject further from fashion than Environmental Studies! I always thought I would study in Toronto, just to be in the city but that's just not the way I'm going. There were many factors citing into this decision but I'm confident it is a good one.

13 comments:

Annie said...

school clothes are sooo expensive.
i bought my school hoodie for almost 70 bucks not including tax.
and they are ill fitting. so i only wear it on really cold days.
but dear god dont give in to the hideous sweatpants. well no just dont wear them out and you're good. lol

Michael said...

Agreed about the expensive school stuff. I think that school spirit is bogus. I'm paying to be there, why do I need to advocate for them as well? They should have student spirit and wear pins with all our photos on them, or give out free pop-sickles randomly.

I too am in environmental studies, at the University of Manitoba. I really like where it's going.

Eli said...

congratulations! youre going to have a blast!

some beeeyotch said...

Out of all of my general education requirements, environmental science was my favorite. school stuff is silly. i only have one shirt that i gave to my little sister, which ended up back to me by virtue of the laundry pile...

Heather said...

I gave all my university logo stuff to my mom a while back... I say, dress cute as often as possible! It gives you a leg up of confidence in the sea of sweatsuits!

w0witsalana said...

i could never leave toronto! i still have to decide what i want to do, but i can't picture myself leaving.
it sounds like a very good choice though. i'm glad you seem to have everything under control!

Michael said...

In my humble experience, the illusion that you have things under control when you are going to university is a dangerous place to be. Expect the unexpected unexpectedly to fuck up your day.

Katie said...

Congrats! I've been accepted to Waterloo as well, but I'm set on going to McGill. And that Waterloo logo is placed way too low on the back. It'll be around your knees unless you pull the pants up to your armpits.

maria a. bogdanova said...

yay for waterloo!
and ja, the school clothes are ridiculously ugly.

Tru said...

congrats, college is great even though people tend to fail fashion wise

Sarah said...

congratulations! I'm still waiting to hear from 6 schools, but even as seniors, the rest of my grade has already begun the college sweat- transition.

Madeline said...

environmental studies arent that for from fashion if you play it the right way. if you focus on eco friendly ways to do fashion itll all work out. im double majoring in art history and environmental studies and u of i, and I plan on working in fashion

Dahl said...

The only people who wear hoodies with my university's name on them are tourists. All of the touristy Aran-sweaters-and-leprechaun-hats shops are licenced to sell them too, so anyone who puts one on gets the urine extracted like there's no tomorrow.

You barely ever see students in un-emblazoned sweats either; I think the fact that the uni is in the middle of the city and not isolated in its own little ivory campus-tower means people put a little more effort in. Which is nice.