Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Ups and Downs of London Fashion Darlings

Just as the title of the posts suggests, Henry Holland and Christopher Kane are no doubt the darlings of London fashion.

First off is Henry Holland. Young, hip, and best friends with Agyness Deyn. Sounds like a recipe for success to me. Especially if the designs are this cool. I LOVED this style of t-shirt. That is, until everyone and their mother owned one and they were knocked off to the tenth degree.

Then Henry broke my heart with a beyond awful Spring 2008 collection. Are those built-in knee pads??

But Henry has weaseled his way back into my good graces with oversize sweaters and plaid skinny pants. Thought I wouldn't necessarily wear them together like this runway photo suggests, I love them separately and equally.

Oh yes, and and high-waisted, tiered mini-mini skirt. It's a pretty big triumph for a guy who didn't go to fashion school and had only designed graphic t-shirts before.


Then there is Christopher Kane. His first collection was epic. I LOVED it. Neon minidresses paved the way for the nu-rave trend, but managed to not be swallowed up by it (in my eyes, at least).

But my God, what has he done? I'm all for shiny things, but large pailletes are tacky in the worst kind of way. There's crackheads in my town who dress better than this. What's worse is I have actually seen a few low income (maybe not income, but they're low in something...) people carrying purses that look like that dress.

Waaaay too idealistic, Kane. I pray this does not catch on...

9 comments:

Eli said...

House of Holland is only a hair away from Heatherette anyway.

Jello on Springs said...

Haha at your last paragraph. I've seen people around here with bags that look like that dress too--in silver or in hot pink. Ahhh I don't know how my eyes take it!

Luna said...

Oh, I LOVE pailletes, but it is only because its so darn ugly and tacky. I have a teal cardigan with cats on the back with lots of pailletes, its so ugly its cool. Haha.

Love the blog!

Stephanie said...

The new blog:

http://thefashbot@blogspot.com

SICK. said...

the third look from henry holland is reminiscent of luella, no ?
except i must say that i prefer luella.
i love those christopher kane dresses.

& oh my goodness i know what purses you are talking about.
& they should be burned.
or exiled to a island somewhere.
no, just burned actually.

incinerated.


x.
jh

SICK. said...

the third look from henry holland is reminiscent of luella, no ?
except i must say that i prefer luella.
i love those christopher kane dresses.

& oh my goodness i know what purses you are talking about.
& they should be burned.
or exiled to a island somewhere.
no, just burned actually.

incinerated.


x.
jh

Marie-Kristine said...

i adored the kane's neon minidress collection! if only his latest was that much of a truimph...

Soul Tanggg said...

ohhh man I looooved House of Holland's line!
SO colorful and punchy!

I'm excited to interprit those looks into my wardrobe.

the iron chic said...

I'm gonna say it........
don't kill me fashion people.....
Christopher Kane is overrated!