Sunday, May 04, 2008

Back and Better Than Ever!

Day 1 was spent primarily traveling - trapped on a 10 hour bus ride with only a half-hour stop at a rinky-dink McDonalds somewhere. The scenery was pretty great, until we got to New Jersey where it seemed like the only signs of inhabitation were garbage and auto shops. The first thing upon arrival was go out for a group dinner at Puglia in Little Italy, where the food was average. Most of the indescribably lame girls in the tour group were clamoring to buy fake purses in Chinatown. I was not. There’s a big difference between “Pegaso” and “Prada”, people. In the hotel lobby after a long day, one girl asked me if I was “as excited as [she] was” upon arriving in NYC. When I said ‘no’, she thought I was upset so I had to explain that I was too cool for that. (Okay, I was excited. Just blasé).

The highlight of Day 2 involved singing “Pegasus! Pegasus!” at every opportune moment. If you are wondering why, then watch this Super Bingo video, which should explain everything.

Now you should understand my delight upon seeing some old man wearing a Pegasus jacket. I saw the Dakota and visited Strawberry Fields in Central Park, which was lovely and peaceful.

Me in front of the Bestheda Fountain in Central Park. Not exactly a fashion plate - I wore this yellow hoodie almost every day.
I walked around Fifth Avenue a bit and saw Mary Poppins on Broadway that night. It was spectacular - the sets were like candy and the acting was dead on. A spoonful of sugar and supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

Day 3 was sort of a crappy day. The tour group went to go see the Statue of Liberty, which involved waiting for hours in a long line up, taking a few pictures of the statue and waiting in more line ups. We didn’t even get to stop at Ellis Island! Total tourist trap, which I definitely would not have gone on if I had the choice.

Eff you, Statue of Liberty!
The afternoon was spent walking around Greenwich Village. Damn, gentification is a bitch! Seriously, a store called Cherry Vintage was selling a plain pair or “vintage” Keds for $125! Who can afford that? Even buying new Keds is cheaper. Every thrift store in my town is guaranteed to have at least two pairs of these “vintage” Keds for $2. The Marc Jacobs store was great and even had some pretty affordable stuff, but I felt like a tightwad in Greenwich Village so I didn’t spend money on anything other than food today. I had dinner with my friends at Red Bamboo, a hip vegetarian restaurant that I highly recommend eating at. I had ‘Bamboo Curry Soy Chicken’ and sweet potato fries! It was an epic meal and I was stuffed. After that we skipped out on a Yankees game to walk back from Greenwich Village to our Manhattan hotel. It was a long walk, but a hell of a lot better than baseball!

Day 4 really could not have been better!

Me on the Brooklyn Bridge wearing the omnipresent yellow hoodie.
We started the morning off by walking the Brooklyn Bridge (eep!) and then I hightailed it to Century 21. Seriously, I have wanted to go there since I read about it in Ellegirl 2 or 3 years ago. It was kind of like a glorified Winners until I got to the third floor where all the designer stuff was. It was still mostly too expensive for me, but I did pick out a few thing I liked that I will share at a later time. We had the day all to ourselves so my friends and I opted to walk to the East Village which was so chokingly HIP. I loved it because people would never dress that well where I live in a million years. Some hot skinny guy in a plaid shirt asked us for directions to Cooper Square - though I think it was because we had a map, not because we looked like native New Yorkers. We perused all sorts of vintage shops which were wonderfully curated, though a little pricey. We kept walking and made it all the way up to the New York Public Library where we collapsed of exhaustion among the majestic architecture for about an hour. When we felt a little more well rested (seriously, carrying big shopping bags around the city was brutal) we had dinner at Dean & Deluca. Their raspberry cheesecake is amazing. The last large group activity was going up the Empire State Building, which sucked because everyone who worked there was a total freak (can’t even describe it) and there was zero visibility due to fog. Then we drove the whole night home on the bus where everyone attempted to sleep. Overall it was a fantastic trip and I’m sad to be back home because I had such an amazing time.

17 comments:

Ragamala said...

New York is amazing.
The village can be great, but I've never really ever been able to find anything!

providentstyle said...

So jealous! I can't wait to go someday.

Eli said...

glad you made it back in one piece, have you ever seen the movie KIDS?

never been to nyc myself, hope you had a blast

Natasha said...

I am so glad you had fun!

Jello on Springs said...

That fountain...I have fond memories there. And I'm glad you enjoyed your trip, can't wait to see what you bought and yesss, now you know why i stick to goodwill, most of the vintage stores in nyc sell everything for outrageous prices. And yea the statue of liberty is the duds, every time some family member from out of the state visits us, my parents make us visit the statue of liberty, makes me want to poke my eyes out, so does times square. I know tourists love it but I can't stand time square.

the iron chic said...

$125 Keds!
If they aren't free, I don't want em.

Hannah Cheeto said...

It's kind of sad, I've only been to NYC once and I live fairly close... I need to go there! It sounds like your trip was fun, but $125 Keds?!? Um what?

Sister Libby said...

That video just made my day.

Stephanie said...

Wow, your trip sounds like so much fun!
And I can't believe I didn't have you linked before - I read your blog nearly every day. I'm linking you right now!

Annie said...

I'm glad you liked your trip :)

and fyi, the best thrift stores in new york (i.e., the ones that aren't outrageously expensive) are in brooklyn. hopefully you'll get to go back to the city soon and visit there. there's so much more to the city than just manhattan.

jess said...

its sounds like fun. i don't like the statue of libert much but i think it's one of hose things you have to do when you first go to nyc.

Annie said...

man i am soooo jealous. it sounds like u had a greattt trip.

Hailey @ stylesymmetry.com said...

l LOVE your yellow hoodie, where's it from?

Ash1314 said...

first canadian blog i've found! yesss fellow ontarian (if that makes sense?! lol)

Ash1314 said...

p.s. I've linked you on my site- hope you dont mind! :)

Tru said...

i cant wait til you post your finds hurry please

The Mysterious N said...

oh wow I live like five blocks from century 21 and I've never been! I need to check it out obv.

and you may very well have looked like a native in the East Village with that American Apparel hoodie.