Friday, June 13, 2008

Why People Stop Blogging


Now that the dust has settled around Style Bytes, I thought I might add my two cents. Agathe had a fantastic blog going for her and I'm really going to miss it. Especially since she took the whole thing offline and I can't even paw throught the archives looking for fresh material either. But the sad reality is that blogging is kind of hard work and its difficult to keep up, especially at the quality level she had.

Does anyone remember Leith from You Know You Love it? Her blog was in freakin' ELLEgirl and totally got me hooked on fashion on the internet. She stopped for about a year and is back to it now, but read this quote from her: "Maybe you have heard of You Know You Love It? I loved it for some time, but then it sucked away my soul and washed down the marrow with some nice red wine."

When you are high profile, you get a lot of flak. Leith ended up getting a lot of ridiculous and completely uncalled-for negative comments. Of course when you are popular, some will like you and some will hate you. Hell, I hate Fall Out Boy though the rest of the world seems to disagree. But when you are constantly having negativity shoved in your face all the time, it becomes a drag. I'm saying this because some nasty commenter called me a "stupid cunt" in my last post because I don't like Peter Gabriel! How lame is that? All that proves is that she has terrible taste in music and likes to spend her time making other people feel bad. Haters should really stop wasting my time and theirs. I have an opinion and so do you, and just because they are different DOES NOT MAKE ME A CUNT.

Umm, so why do people stop blogging? Because it gets stressful and negative commenters are a bitch. Enough said. Luckily for me, the positive more than enough make up for the negative.

10 comments:

BanderBlog said...

Sledgehammer is an ok novelty song, but now the guy looks like a D&D horror story.

The Waves said...

I was sad to see Agathe go as well, but I can only imagine how much time and energy her blogging took. Even though I don't take my own blog too seriously, I sometimes drift dangerously close to the land of living through the blog, i.e. going through my daily musings, but wondering in the back of my mind, "would this make a good blog entry?". And once you are there mentally, you stop living, and become a passive observer to life. Ugh. Must avoid that!

WendyB said...

Blogging takes up too much time...or at least more time than one expects, and it's especially hard if you're getting bad reactions. One way to eliminate negative comments is to ban anonymous comments. Allowing anonymous comments increases your traffic, but therefore also your number of haters. One's vanity prefers higher traffic, but one's self-respect can do without that. As I've said on my blog, people have many places to spew hate, so they don't need my space for that. Other than that...I'm more motivated than a lot of people, because my blog is tied into my business. If it weren't, I would have quit it long ago.

Hailey @ stylesymmetry.com said...

I miss her archives too, but I saved a bunch of her pics and my google reader still has all of her words saved. I still love blogging, I guess we'll see what happens. Hopefully she moved on to bigger and better things~

Natasha said...

I think there are plenty of reasons to decide to quit blogging, especially when your blog is hugely popular and people demand a lot from you.

But I still wish she would have left a last 'goodbye' post...

Dapper Kid said...

I always remember the saying "Don't hate, congratulate". At the end of the day if someone takes the time to be negative, it's simply a bad reflection on them.

Leith said...

booh on nasty comments. Really, I just found myself not enjoying it anymore. It turned into something that I felt I had to do when it used to be something that I loved. Well, that and I had developed quite a life outside the internet (aka homework and social alcoholism).
Once I used the word cunt in a debate about using a certain vulgar word when reading quotes from Huckleberry Finn and the entire room erupted in laughter. That day I learned that cunt is apparently a hilarious word.

leslie said...

You should probably research Peter Gabriel a little beyond "Sledgehammer" before you make such dumb statements, Junior.

I wouldn't have called you a cunt over it, but you're definitely silly.

He's been recording for 35 years, he's rich, and he's famous. He's also a pretty selfless humanitarian.

Now you keep sitting around cutting up clothes, delusional in your belief that you're some sort of trendsetter.

the iron chic said...

Ooooohh! Leslie!
He's rich and he's famous!
Suddenly we are not entitled to opinions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????
But I do happen to enjoy Genesis's "Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" once a year........

Soul Tanggg said...

life gets too busy and/or complicated some times.
i recently took a month-long break, and now i'm back in action.

sometimes its necissary to take a personal time-out.

:)