Saturday, July 12, 2008

"Subversive Jewelry"


I have always wanted a long gold necklace with a crapload of charms dangling chaotically from it. The thing is, I don't have any necklaces that are quite long enough or any pretty charms to speak of. But I dug deep through my jewelery box and came out with a number of different necklaces that I was willing to destroy to create an new Justin Giunta-style necklace. I can't pretend that I'm handy with pliers, but I did manage to turn a bunch of different necklaces into just the one drape-heavy necklace I was looking for. Behold!

Because that photobooth shot gives a rather inadequate detail view of the charms, here is a better one. There's a heart, some skulls, a key, a buddha and is that a...?

P.S.: What is P.Diddy's favourite battle cry? Vote or die!

20 comments:

Dot said...

That's amazing!

WendyB said...

Good work! Don't become my competition now, mind you!

megan said...

I can't get enough of your blog... I was wondering if you wanted to exchange links?

megan / http://mallratcouture.blogspot.com

Stitches & Threads said...

That's cool! I like turning trash into treasure :)

Riley said...

Oh my god! It is indeed a....!

Nay'Chelle said...

Amazing job! I really like the 2.0 version of this necklace.

Doriz Jeltzin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alix d'Laire said...

very nice, but don´t you think that the buddha is a bit incompatible with the christian cross? I always like my jewelry to have meaning, but I suppose aesthetic value is ok too...

Ashleigh said...

I really like the way it came out..looks great with the pearls incorporated into it

donna AND navaz said...

Ooh, clever!

Jazzy Stardust said...

Like Alix said, its interesting how theres a Buddha, Cross and Skulls in the same chain. haha
nice necklace either way.

Solia said...

Etsy has some gorgeous ones that are very similar but i think they get a little out of hand with the prices at times. i was eyeing one exactly like yours not too long ago but it was around $100 so i think i'll try to make my own instead.

LCL said...

neat-o

leslie said...

It's "jewelry" or "jewellery" (if you're English and 80 years old).

You needn't post my comment, just fix it please.

lalaliu said...

that is such a cool idea!

Tavi said...

Nice DIY! Seriously inspirational, no joke.

Butchie said...

You're pulling into the lead. Just think, soon you will be in New York, paying $5 for a fountain drink and being accosted by vagrants.

Eleh said...

it's messy in a good way. i like it.

Vintage Vinyl said...

Great DIY, it looks fantastic! That is such a good idea.


You've been tagged!

Stararah said...

So cute! I WANT IT.