Monday, August 25, 2008

Another Inspirational Lady of the Past

If you thought Beck Hansen was hot, you should check out his mom Bibbe. In her heyday, she was sort of in with the Andy Warhol scene except way younger than most of its participants - she was only 13 when she was in her first Warhol movie! I know Edie gets all the credit, but Bibbe was just as awesome. She was a teenage rebel who hung out with Jack Kerouac’s daughter and patron of the early San Francisco/L.A. punk scene. In the ‘90s she started her own band called Black Fag! Required reading on Bibbe can be found here.


For the folks who wanted more Bibbe pictures, here you go! The first picture of Bibbe and Edie Segwick is my favourite - scanned from i-D magazine. It displays perfectly how young and fresh she was compared to Edie, who definitely wasn't old but was being destroyed by drugs at the time.

14 comments:

The Stylish Wanderer said...

awesome

Miss Karen said...

wow you took the words right out of my mouth. Bibbe was always an idol of mine, more so than Edie purely because she lived through it and made it out alive, plus she was so young at the time! And she's Beck's mother...can she be any more cooler?

Snowshoe said...

I'm relatively new to the fashion blogosphere, and I've seen your name floating around a lot... so now I finally see what the fuss is about! Yet another fantastic blog to add to my blog roll of inspiration.

LookaMess said...

I only heard about Bibbe in some Edie Sedgwick Bio but i never knew she starred in her first Warhol film at thee age of 13, that's crazie. I would be absolutely Terrified. I am definitely gonna read up on this some more ^_^

Daughters of Dawn said...

Fantastic! I never heard of her. Now I have a new obsession.
thanks
xox

LEESH said...

wow she is hott! love her! i love all of your blast from the past posts... they are super informing!!
xx

Rora said...

wow she's gorgeous!

jess said...

Hanging out with Warhol at 13 wow. I hear she's writing a book

Wendy said...

Yep, Bibbe's hot!

elizabeth said...

wow
how have i never heard about her??
SO fantastic!!!

Nature Grafitti said...

she's been an inspiration and icon of mine for a long time ... it's not wonder that she produce the awesomeness that is beck ;]

Jenny H. said...

ahhh she looks so cool.

do you have anymore pictures?

Anonymous said...

awwww! i love bibbe! i was at a party in new york, and bibbe was there, and i couldn't refrain from going up to her and saying hello. she was so sweet. she held my hand and asked to be introduced to my boyfriend (who had edited a book in which she was interested). and though the party was indoors at night in a hotel, she wore sunglasses and looked like such a badass!
- jodache

E.K. Wimmer said...

Great post, she's kind of forgotten in time. You should look into Soledad Miranda also, she died young but she was gorgeous.