Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Gang Gang Montreal

Wow, for all of those who don't want to hear a concert review - apologies in advance. For anyone who likes Of Montreal, you're in for a treat.

Yes, I saw Of Montreal and they were fantastic. Gang Gang Dance was supposed to open but they didn't (couldn't get across the border?) and I was kinda pissed because GGD is amazing. Lizzy Bougatsos is one of my favourite female vocalists ever, seriously. But back to Of Montreal. They mostly played songs from Skeletal Lamping (which admittedly, I'm not too familiar with), but I danced like hell to the songs I knew from Hissing Fauna, plus Disconnect the Dots and Wraith Pinned to the Mist & Other Games. My friends and I managed to get into the fourth row and started a few four-person mosh pits much to the dismay of about everyone standing around us. Snobs.

Hopefully I can accurately recount the Kevin Barnes costume changes. He first came onstage from inside a box being carried by gold Buddhas. He was wearing a white ruffly shirt, rainbow necklaces, blue skinny pants and red patent elf shoes. He soon ditched the ruffles in favour of a green and yellow batik tie-dye shirt. He then changed into a Pope costume, but that was quickly shod off to reveal...ummm...just about everything save for peach hotpants. That just about made my life. Kevin Barnes is one beautiful beautiful man. So pale/gangly/slender/SEXY. Everybody was a little disappointed when he put on this 1980s black jacket with a snow leopard on the back. My favourite outfit was the next one, a bright blue sequin jacket with a massive fannypack with his initials bedazzled on the front. Briefly, there was a fuschia bathrobe/fuzzy slippers followed by a reappearance of the peach hotpants! Yay! Then he got red paint rubbed all over him and I kind of forget what he wore after that. It was all a blur. Dottie was wearing green tights and a fuschia tutu, B.P. Helium was wearing crazy hair, and the new drummer guy was wearing a red bobbed wig and feather boa. I hope they dress like that all the time. Ryan got a picture of nearly nude Kevin, so I'll post it when I get it.

What a spectacle! Besides the amazing costumes there were performance artists in black body suits with silver sequin masks who sometimes wore giant animal heads. And there were hilarious animations being projected behind them during the entire set. Twas excellent.

AND THEY PLAYED SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT AS THE ENCORE!!!! I swear I died a little inside of ecstasy. I could barely even sing along I was so excited!

Then after the show I was approached by a very stylish girl who told me she reads my blog. Wow, my first celebrity sighting! Most exciting thing that has ever happened to me ever. Except from maybe Of Montreal covering Nirvana. EPIC! Anyways, if you're reading this Kate - you are awesome and dress way better than I do. Then we had to walk halfway across Toronto and it started snowing! I could not believe it! What serendipity!

P.S. -Yes, I bought a t-shirt. It has a flapper girl's head on it and shall be revealed at a later date.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'M SO JEALOUS I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT TO SAY.

Anonymous said...

ooooh, kevin barnes. my friend got to see their show in NYC. apparently he rode out on a horse, haha!

alice said...

that sounda amazing

Beth said...

I was at that concert! I actually stumbled upon your blog a few days ago and thought i spotted you as well. You forgot to mention Kevin as a centaur and Kevin covered in whipped cream :) Amazing concert!

Rhiannon said...

Oh wow, now I'm extra excited to see them! His outfits sound like they're even crazier now, and I can't believe he played the Nirvana song for an encore! I swear he can read our minds, because the first time I saw them he closed with two David Bowie songs, and I was in heaven.

I want to see this flapper shirt now.

yoncto said...

they covered nirvana?!?! holy hell, that must've been AMAZING. i'm jealous. also, fuck people who don't want to dance/mosh at concerts. they suck. but i'm glad you had a good time!

Anonymous said...

i was also at that concert! twas un-freaking-beleivable.
didn't see you though.. i would have said hi! (even though that's probably really awkward hah)

some beeeyotch said...

oh, my god. smells like teen spirit is one of my favorite songs of all time. i'm going to catch their show in my town if i have money by then, and i really hope they play that as an encore, but i doubt they will:(

Nay'Chelle said...

I'm kind of completely jealous of you right now. Hooray for the celebrity status.

Miss Karen said...

Wow that sounds like such an awesome show! I love Of Montreal and was actually debating whether to buy skeletal lamping today on vinyl!

christina said...

Ohohoh I love Of Montreal! I got to see them last year on campus, and I love the show they're able to put on. It was intense! Not only that, but MGMT opened back before they got really really big so it was quite a treat.

I'm so jealous you got to see all of that though. :D The costume changes and stuff that happened sounds so much more elaborate.

Miss Woo said...

Gang Gang dance new album is soooo good, sucks to hear that they couldn't play but sounds like Of Montreal more than made up for it :)

Pretty Pirate said...

Sounds like a great show! I knew he would take it all off. He's crazy like that. LOVE THEM!!

Shannon said...

God I love them. When I saw them, Kevin was wearing a black leather lace up dominatrix outfit, and the guitarist had some sweet pink feather angle wings.

laia. said...

sounds great!
so bummed you didnt get to see gang gang dance, they are seriously the best thing ever.