Friday, August 28, 2009

In which I discuss life-defining music.

Earlier this week, Diane posted a musical retrospective of her school years and I had such a good time reading it that I decided to to steal her idea and do my own. So here I've listed all the bands and artist that have made a particularly powerful impression on me since the beginning of high school to right this moment. Music has always been extremely important to me - I grew up listening to and playing Classical music on the violin (I think my mom was hoping for the Mozart Effect) and even though my tastes have broadened, my love remains true!

In Grade 9, I suffered through an embarrassing pop-punk phase where I listened to Good Charlotte nonstop. Though I look back on those days with disdain, it was really a starting point. Rancid and NOFX were the first punk bands I ever really got into and they made a huge impression on me. I can't say I really listen to this stuff anymore, but it did lead me into other bands (like the Clash!) that I never stopped loving.
Rancid - Ruby Soho


NOFX - Pharmacist's Daughter


In Grade 10, I started to begin exploring the pop spectrum a little more. Beck's Guero album had just came out and it was one of the coolest things I'd ever heard at the time! The song 'Girl' is still exceptionally fun to dance and rock out to. Around the same time I met a boy who listened to music I'd never even heard of before. I don't talk to him anymore (admittedly, I was smitten at the time) but I'll always thank him for introducing me to Kate Bush.
Beck - Girl


Kate Bush - Cloudbusting


Grade 11 was a bizarre year for me, music-wise. It was around this time I started reading books about the history of punk music and was introduced to Patti Smith, whose music left an extreme impression on me. I can still listen to Horses and get the shivers every time. I also heard Le Tigre for the first time and their electro dance pop made me want to get up and move like never before. I still count Deceptacon among my favourite songs of all time! I also had a really weird industrial-goth phase in Grade 11 which involved a lot of Marilyn Manson, KMDFDM and Rammstein. Yeah, I was a weird kid.
Patti Smith - Horses


Le Tigre - Deceptacon


In Grade 12, I just remember listening to a lot of obscure British punk and post punk bands. I can't say any one specifically stuck out to me, but they certainly made a huge impression on me all together. I remember obsessively scouring used record stores for punk compilation discs with songs I hadn't heard on them before. I've chosen X-Ray Spex to represent all of these bands because this song is one of my favourites and the footage of Poly Styrene is great. The only singular artist that I truly loved at this time was David Bowie. This was a really turbulent time for me, and Ziggy Stardust definitely helped me recover from everything. Suffragette City is such a standout track and still one of my favourite songs.
X-Ray Spex - Oh Bondage Up Yours!


David Bowie - Suffragette City


After I graduated high school, I opted to take a "victory lap", which means I basically came back to high school for another year because I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life. It's actually pretty common to take a "victory lap" where I'm from, and even though it was an awful year (the work was not academically challenging at all) I don't regret it because I probably would've gone to a different University or picked the wrong program and not been half as happy as I am now. My favourite bands were (and pretty much still are) Minor Threat and Bikini Kill. The absolute energy and conviction of both bands absolutely knocked me off my feet, and to be honest, I am not yet standing.
Bikini Kill (I don't know the name of the song, but the footage is amazing)


Minor Threat- It Follows/ Screaming At A Wall


First year University had to be the best year of my life so far. Going to live in a different city away from home and meeting all new people was the best thing I ever did. I also started to listening to the Pixies and PJ Harvey nonstop. The Pixies are punk, but in a complex way I'd never heard before. I didn't like them when I first heard them in high school, but now I appreciate them all that much more. (Also significant, is that I'M GOING TO SEE THE PIXIES LIVE TOMORROW!) I've always had a deep love for intense female vocalists (most notably Kathleen Hanna and Courtney Love), and PJ's voice and music is so visceral that it has the power to rip me up and sew me back together all in the course of an album.
Pixies - River Euphrates

PJ Harvey - Long Snake Moan

Of course there are dozens of bands and artist who mean a lot to me but haven't been mentioned here. Believe me, it was hard to keep it to keep this bare minimum. I guess it's sort of feel right to be reflecting on the past few years as I'm moving into my first ever apartment next week! I've never lived completely on my own before (albeit I have wonderful roommates) and I'm ready to start this next exciting chapter of my life.

39 comments:

Caileigh said...

5th year was not awful!
we had each other!

i loved reading this
i got to reflect on all the isabel's
i've known throughout the last few years!

love you lots
<3

R. said...

ooooh, lucky you seeing the Pixies tomorrow! Have fun. And good luck with the new apartment, I'm sure you'll have a blast.

Malena said...

Ah, this is so cool! I'm sure you've realized I appreciate your current music taste. I had something like the Good Charlotte stage too, for me it was 7th grade My Chemical Romance/other emo bands music. But it did introduce me to David Bowie.

love buzz. said...

this was so much fun to read! you have an awesome taste in music & yay for nofx & rancid! they really were the making of so many of us. <3 xo.

Easy Alphabet Pony said...

you´re seeing the Pixies!!! I´m sooo jelly :(

Great post, filled with AWESOME music !!

Twobreadsplease said...

This was beautiful. I love dancing to girl by beck tooooo and don't worry, I went through a terrible good charlotte phase too... So jealous taht you're going to see the pixies! xx

Rebecca, The Clothes Horse said...

Man, I missed out on so much music when I was younger...my parents only let us listen to Christian and oldies until we were sixteen...never even knew it was odd or what else was out there until I was older. And all that despite public school; I was an oblivious child.

lydia said...

this is awesome!! i applaud your taste in music.

Maddie said...

RUBY RUBY RUBY RUBY SOHO!
I used to love Rancid so much.
But my love peaked in 3rd grade :P.

nicole.nicolson said...

I just saw the Pixies play an invite-only club show for industry reps in Hamilton at a club with a 200 person capacity. Maybe 125 people were there. It was pretty great...e-mail me and we'll talk all about it!

Amelia said...

Haha, I think my parents were definitely hoping for the Mozart effect, too. This was very interesting to read. It's funny how tastes change over time.

WendyB said...

Love X-Ray Spex!!!

The Magic Doll said...

Nothing like a bit of PJ!!!
I admit, from 6th grade to 8th I was an intense Nickelback fan, and you can't get more embarassing then that!
H
x

devies said...

cool post (:

and I love that we're namesakes lol

x

Isabel

jodache said...

Great entry. I'm waaay older than you, but we've gone through some similar music phases. Kathleen Hanna is still my favorite. And Beck has always been my #1 crush. I got to meet Patti Smith at a party last year, which was pretty amazing. I came into her music quite late. She's incredible.

jessica said...

deceptaconnnn ♥
& good charlotte, ahahah oh god me too .

Raez said...

wow, amazing list of music, great taste! loving le tigre:)

clairegrenade said...

oooh, to have wonderful taste in music....


NICE, you lucky girl going to see the pixies!!

The Queen of Hearts said...

Many of the videos you posted her brought me back to my angst - filled high school years. Then you have the Le Tigre on here, and I am reminded of Summers 2007 & 2008 and all the fun I had eating cupcakes and dancing the nights away in Brooklyn and the LES...

Morning Glory said...

What a cool post! I love reading about other peoples tastes in music.

bobb said...

Lots of good songs here. It still amazes me that "Oh Bondage Up Yours" was a Top Ten hit in the UK. I'm not sure if it was even released as a single in the U.S. or Canada.

Damsels said...

really great taste in music

Austere said...

This si so fun to read! I might have to steal your idea. I remember in 6th grade I was a huge Good Charlotte fan too. It seems like the victory lap is like when people take a year off before going away to college. Just without the actually having to go to school part.

yiqin; said...

NOFX is awesome :D

Miss Woo said...

this post is amazing. I also LOVE Manson and Rammstein in my teens, I don't care if its embarassing now. I DON'T. Your music taste is seriously awesome, and you got to share the Pixies experience! ;)

Diane said...

This was so fun and fascinating to read. Yay for X-Ray Spex and Le Tigre!

And you're so lucky that you saw Pixies live!!! Be honest, it was totally amazing, right??

Matt said...

man, you have some awesome taste in music. I really love early punk too, especially black flag and minor threat. joy division and and the pixies are pretty supreme too

kirstyb said...

i was all about the backstreet boys now that was embarrassing xxxxxxxx

monkeytoes said...

OMG same here.. the first punk rock band i listened was NOFX then rancid, then exploited , rykers and so on and so on.... and i love NYHC genre as well such as sickofitall, youth of today, shut down.... aawww how i miss those times:S

J. said...

Ahh lots of great bands! (minus the Good Charlotte part haha)

I went on Saturday too, the Pixies killed it. Absolute genius, they are.

Girl With The Bow Tie said...

Wow, what a cool post. It'll be interesting for me, as I get older, to reflect on the growth of my musical tastes. I can say it's definitely changing throughout the years!

Thanks so much for stopping by!
girlwiththebowtie.blogspot.com

Beth said...

Wow great idea for a post.
Love loads of these bands especially the Pixies- have a good time seeing them tomorrow! So jealous lol
Beth xx

bryna said...

love this post! i had terrible music taste in high school.. now its not so bad. i have always loved pj!

Natalie said...

Have fun seeing the Pixies! :)

xoxo

natalieoffduty.blogspot.com

GraceFace said...

I'm quite jealous fo you seeing The Pixies! I love this post, I sometimes forget how much music influences us all...

Eva Internazionale said...

I loved reading this. You have good taste in music! & Deceptacon is one of my favorite songs ever.

emily said...

this is really interesting! thanks for sharing. :)

Pansy said...

You are WONDERFUL, OBVIOUSLY! Le Tigre!! David Bowie! Minor Threat! Be my best friend.

BEE said...

i am sooo sorrry but i totally had to steal the bikini kill video. it was just sooo good. thank you!