Thursday, February 11, 2010

In Memoriam


Yesterday was a particularly miserable day, owing greatly in part to the passing of one of my personal favourite designers Lee Alexander McQueen. I tried to isolate myself by holing myself up reading magazines in Chapters and found myself particularly engrossed by the issue of RUSSH with Daul Kim on the cover - a simple yet sad reminder of how fleeting life can be. I really did cry yesterday, because I know what it feels like to want to die, and that some of the most fascinating people I've ever imagined have succumbed to that.

I'm wearing my Rodarte x Target dress today, because its reminiscent of the ribcage suitcase he designed for Samsonite - which is one of the most memorable things he has designed (at least for me).


Whenever I think of Alexander McQueen, the only world that really comes to mind is 'genius'. Every other adjective seems devoid of meaning. He created some of the most memorable moments that fashion has ever seen and was a true trailblazer. I will remember him as a master of leather, lace, schoolboy, royalty and everything that is quintessentially British. Please rest in peace, Lee Alexander McQueen.






19 comments:

Ross said...

I did the same thing, though when reading I came across something that kind of struck me. In an interview in the September 2008 issue of British Harper's, the interviewer said the lee "but you've probably got another 40 years ahead of you" and I burst out crying. again. yesterday was horrible

Anonymous said...

A great tribute post! At least his contributions will live on for a long, long time in the minds of fashion enthusiasts. I forced my boyfriend to watch a video of Mr. McQueen's last collection (while he works at a clothing store, he doesn't really follow designers), and managed to acquire him another fan. May he rest in peace...

Sarah

futurelint said...

ugh, I know, such a sad day. You've chosen great looks to represent him as a designer.

S-laith 青 said...

Hi there.
This post is clearly heartfelt.
Very very sad but its all going to be ok.(...?)

Rosé Magritte said...

It's true, everything you said. He was a master of his craft, but it extended beyond that. It went past the craft of designing clothes because all in all he was creating art.

I know the feeling too, so it when I heard his manner in which he went (even though it is irrelevant because death is death regardless of its means) it was like a second stab to the heart.

And the thing that sucks is that with his two major shows, the Pre-Fall collection, his mens collections and the sub-lines, it's all year round. It's going to hurt like a bitch for a while.

Faux Naif said...

i know exactly what you mean. isn't it strange how we can feel the death of a stranger so wrenchingly?

in moments like these, i challenge anyone to accuse fashion of being shallow.

olivias-pizzaz said...

Very good tribute post, it makes me want to cry. It is so so so saaad :( :(

The Mussy Head Guild said...

http://www.twloha.com/vision/
I wrote Alexander McQueen instead of Love on my arm.

Becca Jane said...

This is a devastating loss to the world of fashion. So sad.

NIKKI said...

this is a really nice tribute. both mcqueen and daul kim made me really excited about fashion, especially when at times it can become so vapid and boring... mcqueen was inspiring, a true artist.

christina said...

Every time I look back through McQueen's work, I feel this sort of sadness for a loss of an amazing designer who knew how to shake up the fashion world. RIP, McQueen

mckenziepaige said...

such a sad day in the fashion world. he will definitely be remembered.

Mimi said...

yes.

anne said...

just looked through your blog and love it! you are too adorable. i'm your newest follower :D

Crystal said...

Devastating. One of the few designers who showed me what fashion could be.

Amelia said...

Even genius doesn't seem quite right. He's just beyond words. What a tragedy.

Gem said...

Thanks for this post, Isabel. It was a really moving tribute to such a legend. You've summed it up simply and respectfully, without the dramatics about what happened.
I've learnt in my personal life recently that life really is so precious, we all just need to do our best to live it to the full.
x

Carissa said...

i can't believe this happened

Landice Anderson said...

Days later I've yet to come up with comprehensive words to express my feelings about this. It makes me so sad that anyone would be depressed enough to do this, and it hardens the blow that he happened to be a genius.