Tuesday, April 13, 2010

How Soon Is Now?


The Way I See It #23
“Chances are you are scared of fictions.
Chances are you are only fleetingly happy.
Chances are you know much less than you think you do.
Chances are you feel a little guilty.
Chances are you want people to lie to you.
Perhaps the answer lies on the side of a coffee cup.
You are lost.”
– David Cross. Comedian, actor, writer.

The first time I read this was on the side of a Starbucks coffee cup sometime during my formative years that historians refer to as “high school”. Somehow the words of this wise, sage David Cross fellow (who I now know played Tobias Funke on Arrested Development) really struck a chord with me, mainly because I was lost and I guess that I really did want people to lie to me. I recently remembered how much this quote once meant to me, and when I decided to revisit it, I found it had lost its appeal. Chances are, I grew up a lot, realized that life it what you make it and made a conscious effort to find things to be happy about every day. Chances are, you have or someday will have a similar story to mine. I hope everyone reading this is much more than fleetingly happy and realizes that life is full of things that are far more complex and wonderful than a simple quote could ever capture.

19 comments:

Gio Goi Jacket said...

wonderful outfit! I love the mis match leggings!

Gio Goi Jacket said...

Beautiful outfit! Love the mis match leggings!

louise or valentine said...

i love david cross. he just seems so honest and there. i like that our generation really gravitates towards teh voices of comedians.
also...love the tights, very harlequin esque.

Hope-Fashion Narcotics said...

I love that Smiths song, and I think this outfit is excellence! Do you ever do up the top button for a more adroynous(typo) look?
H

xo

Stephanie said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Isabel. I needed this this today.

Caroline said...

Looove the tights! Where did you ever find them?

I also enjoy the quote as well. I've shamefully never heard of David Cross, but I'll be sure to look him up now.

Juliette said...

Love the outfit! Simple, yet, meaningful, like the quote.

At this point in my life, I feel fleetingly happy, but I'm so damn optimistic it's impossible not to think that things will get better soon.

-Juliette WhereForArtThouRomeo

Mark said...

I really admire you for your mind, Isabel. You always have something intelligent and thoughtful to say. Best wishes.

hello birdy said...

Aahh man, I always love your outfits! Perfect.

Anonymous said...

that reminds me of this, "THERES NOTHING TERRIBLY WRONG WITH FEELING LOST, SO LONG AS THAT FEELING PRECEDES SOME PLAN ON YOUR PART TO ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT..."written by the great jhonen vasquez!

Damsels said...

wow thats really interesting .. to go back and revisit something to find that it doesnt mean as much to you .. probably you have changed or matures or jsut find yourself in a different part of your life so to speak .. i admit that reading it now it doesi nterest me but i see that it would definitely appeal to a younger more depressed me .

by the way . i love your denim dress

Coatlicue Fatale said...

in order as they first appeared on the screen
1. your outfit is adorable! Ive been meaning to buy tights such as this but I have not had the money nor the time to look for them!
2. The David Cross quote was not only unique and painfully honest but when you finish reading it you are able to discover something about yourself that you haven't thought about or are unable to admit to
3. I really thank you for your interpretation of this quote because as I read it I thought about the moments I shared with my godfather that has since passed away but the moments that I spend with my family. a part of is thinking about that a lot since Ill be moving away to grad school in 4 months.

sorry for this long response

Madeleine said...

Love love love the outfit, and that quote you got there.

jessica said...

holy shit who are you , plato? aristotle? nietzsche?
YOU'RE DAMN GENIUS GIRL ♥
great post, and plus i like your outfit a whole lot.


aaaaaand i love tobias. just puttin it out there ..

Anonymous said...

you make me happy!

Marlena said...

Is that a denim dress?
I can't tell, it's probably just a button up shirt but IN MY MIND it's a denim dress. And it looks ahmaaazing <3

♥Mimi said...

Your beautiful words lost me there... I was too busy staring at your outfit. (Cool tights. Awesome denim dress.)

I am only fleetingly happy.

That makes me sad.

):

hannah zbitnew jagger said...

that's really nice!
i actually have the same tights, and i love your dress!

gunderscores said...

Ooh, tights snap! I got mine in American Apparel anyway. Sometimes they're more trouble than they're worth. People freak out when they see me...
'Eh love, d'ya know your tights are diff'rent colours??'