Sunday, July 18, 2010

Chronicles of NYC

In order to conquer the sometimes overwhelming sense of doom that tends to wash over me, I skipped town for a week and hopped on a bus bound for New York City. Marisa Meltzer and Elizabeth Spiradakis (my spiritual 90s lady-loves) were kind enough to take me in while I did sophisticated things like observing at museums, attending parties, wearing sequin hot shorts and hobknobbing with totally famous people. I know. Like Samatha Pleet and this triceratops.

I had the most amazing time just living in the moment that sometimes you don't always find time to do. Consequently I didn't take any pictures to prove I was actually there save for these foxy snaps of Anna, Elizabeth and Laia. We all have blogs and are cooler in real life (or so I'd like to think). I also met Caroline from Louise or Valentine, who is a super sweetheart and photographer who snapped this photo of me. Humidity perverts my hair, so sorry about that.

My favourite place I visited was definitely the American Museum of Natural History. I actually visited twice, because I felt like I had to go back or else I was going to die. Everything about it was awe-inspiring, but mostly bears, squids and dinosaurs.

The only catch is, now I need to go experience nature in real life. This equates to reading Walden in my backyard.

Of course I did lots of other stuff, but that can be discussed later.

Moral of the Story: Be friendly to strangers and smile at people you don't know. Because they might have your wallet.

19 comments:

Zara said...

Looks like a great trip - I love the dinosaurs!

Aattlee said...

Haha! I love your moral, I will remember that in future. I LOVE that picture of you, and your hair looks brilliant despite the humidity. It's nice to see you from someone else's perspective, love the yellow/orange tinge to the picture. Glad you had such a good trip. :)

http://fashionregardless.blogspot.com/

brodie said...

total brunette babez hangout. (marisa excluded)

ana said...

"this equates to reading Walden in my backyard."
I lol'd. Great post. Very jealous of the museum trips

JordanMayTwigs said...

I sometimes do this.....
Minus the museums.

I take the train to NYC every once in awhile.
And do lots of silly things I don't belong doing.

Primus and Gogol Bordello are playing The Williamsburg Waterfront on the 30th.
I might go.
Depending on my root cannal situation.
:(

I wish I had of known you we're there though.
I would have totally loved to hang out with you!!!

xx
JordanMayTwigs.
<3

www.jordanmaytwigs.blogspot.com

Maddie M. said...

This was fantastic! I'm hoping to go to NYC next summer.
I just love your blog so much, your style is right up my alley.
xoxo Maddie.

Leah said...

i wish my hair looked 1/3 as good as yours does after humidity! i bet you had such an awesome time

OrigamiGirl said...

I love your hair! It reminds me of a 90s model if that makes any sense.

Also I was wondering if you could help me on something?
I was reading loads of stuff about American Apparel the other day, saying that they treat their staff terribly, and hire and fire people according to their looks.
Do you think AA is actually like that as someone who works there and clearly has an ethical conscience?
Cheers. :)

olivias-pizzaz said...

fuuuun!! looks very cool!
olivias-pizzazz.blogspot.com
xx

ergyerg said...

Wowwow, i love the look of that museum, i want to go so much :D your photos are great!
xxxxxx

Terri said...

The first photo reminded me of a story...

Several years ago I went to a crawfish festival at KCAI. Typically, events like this involve live Cajun music, lots of boiled crayfish, etouffe, etc. On a whim, I decided to save several of the pincers, thinking I could make a cool pair of earrings. A week or so later, a smell developed in my room. As I tracked it down, I discovered the pincers. Turns out, the most delicate flesh hides in those pincers!

Angelica said...

LOL, I love your moral too. It's great that you went to New York of all places to "experience nature." It really is true about the city that you can just BE there, like you can just be walking around and feel fulfilled and part of this thing larger than yourself. I don't think you can do that in other places no matter how pretty they are because they just don't feel as REAL somehow. My friends and I walked the length of Manhattan this weekend and it was pretty much the best thing ever.

Also your hair looks awesome that way! You know, grunge, etc.

Madeleine said...

Glad to hear you had an... interesting trip. I love the museum of natural history too!

Xu Box said...

Yay for museum visits!!! I hope you're jealous of my proximity to "grunge city central" -- Seattle, because I am totally jealous of your easy access to NYC.

laia. said...

come back soon dood, it was a blast!

also LOL at that picture of me and Venus Williams hahaha

Anonymous said...

the natural history museum is beautiful, but i found so many aspects of it to be super racist and outdated in general. so much so that it soured my whole experience!
there's no context to the exhibits, which is troubling in terms of the categorization of asian, african, south american, native north american peoples, in addition to the lack of context surrounding how those stuffed animals got into the museum.
and one could say that you can apply your own contexual reading of the museum, but does everybody do that? do children do that?

sorry for that rant. i have some pent up natural history museum issues.

your hair looks nice all frizzy, dood.

AFitz said...

i went to the museum right before my flight, HOLY HELL that whale

Becca Jane said...

That museum looks fantastic! I haven't yet been to NYC but I would love to take a trip and spend my days shopping and going to amazing museums

Jason said...

Your second photo of yourself is stunning.