Saturday, July 03, 2010

Fly a Train

I found the most life-defining (okay, maybe just wardrobe-defining) book at the public library last week! It's called Dr. Martens: The Story of an Icon by Martin Roach, and i can hardly believe I've never heard of this book before seeing as I wear Docs almost every day the temperature is right. In fact, I have 61 posts tagged as 'Doc Martens' as of this moment and most of them are my outfits. Oh right, quit bragging and back to the book.

It discusses the history of the Dr. Martens brand as well as a brief history of each decade in the 20th Century since the inception of the brand. It features a timeline of important world events in each decade, but the most interesting parts are the ones discussing Dr. Marten's relation to underground music subcultures. By the time I finish actually reading the book (not just browsing the pretty pictures), I'll have a huge list of bands to research.

Since the book coincided with the 40th anniversary of Dr. Martens, the brand commissioned British designers to re-envision what their ultimate Docs would look like. It was fascinating to see all the ideas!

Great book, great photos, can't wait to finish reading it!

28 comments:

bryana said...

oh my gosh!
i love love this book:)
hopefully soon i will be getting black florals! hehe
i'll have to go check it out too

Becca Jane said...

Looks like an awesome book! I love those shots of Doc interpretations, so cool

carling said...

wow! so inspiring..love the last one!;)

Come follow my blog:
http://thefashionreflections.blogspot.com/

xx
karla

Kat said...

wow! that looks awesome :D i love fashion books like this, they're so interesting :)

Bind said...

I might have to read this, I wish I had a pair, they are so lovely.

Bind said...

I might have to read this, I wish I had a pair, they are so lovely.

Tere said...

Hello! This is the first time that I visit your blog and I see is very nice!!
I love your style, very elegant and modern!
Good photos!!
Kisses from http://sweetsyte.blogspot.com/

Chérie said...

I want a pair so bad.

Chip said...

cool
I might jsut have to pick that up

Marlena said...

I'm gonna have to see if my library has this book,it looks awesome!

I really like the third pair of boots.I might try sticking one of those ribbon badges on mine now @.@

Is This Real Life? said...

Oh looks like such a fab book!

Amy said...

i'd be lost with my DMs, i love them =] great post :) x

L'enfant said...

I need this book. I love my doc martens.

Mon Cheri said...

oo sounds interesting. Doc's do have such a history behind them :)

just found your blog and love your style <3

Pansy said...

!!! That book looks fantastic.

Jessy said...

Love the pictures! I can't wait until I can get my own pair of Doc Martens

Follow my blog at jessy-missj.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Really like this blog :) Check mine out...
http://youdidwhaaat.blogspot.com/
:)
:)

Falling Down The Rabbit Hole said...

I love the 3rd pair! And the second are lovely also. They are the best thing ever though, you can wear them with practically anything

sarah said...

This is blatantly your soul mate in published form!

Grace said...

Great inspiration!

Love Grace.

Amanda "Creamy" Apriani said...

Hi, I'm blogger of Ice Creamy World and nice to c ur blog.

I've a new post (hope you like it) at : HERE and joinmy giveaway with lots of gift at : HERE

Haven't exchange link? Let's exchange link by email me at icecreamyworld[at]gmail[dot]com

Xoxo,
Creamy
http://creamyandicecream.blogspot.com/
Twitter : caramel_manda

Twobreadsplease said...

i love the re-envisioned docs, using them as flower pots is so sweet x

klara.gg said...

O My God!!!
I love my DMs I cant BELIEVE I have never seen this book...
I have to have it...
:(
Follow me on my blog
biggersis.blogspot.com

Masha said...

omg great shoes!

http://leblogdemasha.blogspot.com/

LexyLooo(: said...

I too enjoy doc martens, this year I had an unexplainable desire to purchase some beige rose ones and a pair of gold ones for myself... However my desire was never realized due to the fact that my wallet was emptied by overpriced movie tickets and frozen yogurt. :/

megan said...

wow, looks like a fantastic book! i love coffee table books but hate the prices :S i think a trip to the library is in order.

megan http://mallratcouture.blogspot.com

morethanshoes said...

I'd never heard of this book before either. Only £5.21 used from Amazon....as if you would buy a new copy!

AshleyDoll said...

Awesomeness.