Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Living With Less


Or, "I went camping in British Columbia for five weeks and all I got was this lousy armpit hair."

So I'm kind of going through a major transition phase right now. In case you couldn't tell, about 95% of the blog posts I made in the last month were scheduled posts I wrote before leaving because I didn't want to go camping and come back to a blog filled with tumbleweeds, reader population: zero. But the truth is, does it even really matter?

For the past five weeks, I lived out of a 65L backpack with about 6 articles of clothing and 2 pairs of shoes, sleeping outside in tents, falling asleep at dark and rising with the sun. I stopped shaving my armpits and peed in the woods and campground outhouses. Not very glamorous, I know, but it was hands down one of the best experiences of my adult life. I am no longer rotting from the inside out, and feel more in tune with the wondrous beauty of nature. There is an indescribably affinity, a little bit of myself within the peeling bark of Arbutus trees and the pockmarks of salt-eroded rock that I will never let go of.


I ended up bringing one 'city' outfit for when we were in Vancouver. It was this semi-creepy thrift store polka dot dress with a peter pan collar and it came in really handy for those days when I got sick of wearing Adidas track pants for days on end.
Tomorrow I'm taking the plane home back to Ontario. Back to work, back to life, back to responsibilities, financial woes and Twitter updates. Not that I'm complaining at all - there's a lot of people, places and things that I love back in Ontario, I'm simply ready to look at life with a new level of self-awareness.

I've decided that my ecofeminist-themed magazine is a go regardless of funding, and I plan to start creating content for it as soon as I have regular internet access once more.
Now all I have to do is re-shave my head, move into my new house, buy a new camera to replace my crappy old one that broke on the trip, and receive some cool pieces in the mail from Egocloset and I am a new woman.

17 comments:

ana said...

your magazine sounds amazing.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like it was a life changing trip. I agree, getting by with very little is so refreshing. The endless choices available to us in the modern world are probably responsible for the constant anxiety that most of us seem to suffer. The trick is holding on to these revelations once we are propelled back into civilisation. Tricky but not impossible. Your magazine idea sounds really inspirational, good luck. x

Nik said...

Thank you for this post! Living with less is seemingly what it's all about or at least that's the conclusion I'm reaching too. So happy you posted this today. Thank you

K said...

BC is amazing, glad you enjoyed your trip! Good luck with the magazine, if you ever want any help from this side of the pond, drop me a line!

K xx

Tilly Mix said...

By 'lousy' you mean AWESOME, right?

You should totally keep it as a reminder of your new world view :)

(shave-free for 7 months!)

Rebeccak said...

Yes do it! Have you thought about trying tog et some funding on kick-starter?

brodie said...

I have nothing else to say than I LOVE ALL OF THIS. I've been reading your blog for ages but rarely comment (sowwy!) and I'm so excited you're doing this magazine thang. xo

PS how excellent is having furry pits?

Peacock's Hat said...

Much as I would love to feel more at one with nature, I don't think I could cope with the armpit hair.
Will you be looking for contributors to the magazine? I would really love to write for it.

Coatlicue Fatale said...

Armpit hair-camping-eco feminism !!!

SOUNDS LIKE ONE OF THE BEST POSTS I'VE EVER READ!!

The best part of this post has to be the talk about your magazine! Is this a zine? You should put out a call for entries for your zine that way you could get entries and you could get some help. I am super excited and can't wait to see your updates about the magazine!

owlinalarkworld said...

Creepy Dress? No. Fantastic? Yes.

olivias-pizzaz said...

I love when you just get away from reality and its really eye opening! sounds like an amazing experience!
olivias-pizzazz.blogspot.com
xx

Crimson Ebolg said...

Your trip sounds fab. Are you accepting submissions for your magazine? I'd love to write something for it if you are.
CE.

edgeindustrialphotography said...

great post

love it when you realise how
little you actually need to be happy
- never fails to amaze me each
time I realise it (again)
- george

'Possessions they are never gonna fill the void
Take it away and learn the best lession
The heart, the soul, the life, the passion'


street style:
what are you wearing,who are you listening to?

Carnivorous Seaweed said...

I really want to read your magazine.
I really don't understand the whole idea of not shaving your armpits, though. I understand the "if men don't have to do it then why do women" belief, and I agree with it, but I am far from a fan of armpit hair on women or men. I feel a bit like not shaving your pits is kind of a sad attempt to prove that you're a hardcore feminist.

Savannah Burton said...

you lucky bitch! All I'm going to say :)

Marlena said...

AHHH I am so stoked for this zine project of yours! I'll definitely be keeping my eyes peeled for updates. <3

A Fine Balance said...

Heart Vancouver! I hope you had a good time there and I love your polka dot dress.