Sunday, July 31, 2011

Movie Review: Dig!

On a Tumblr recommendation from Kaye, I watched the Brian Jonestown Massacre/Dandy Warhols documentary Dig!, detailing the friendship, rivalry and fallout of the two bands. I have been a massive Dandy Warhols fan since high school so I jumped at the chance to watch a film about them but ended up getting totally sucked into the dark world of the Brian Jonestown Massacre.


Anton Newcombe of the BJM is a totally fucked-up weirdo who writes really good music and also dresses like a prophet.



Joel Gion is a hilarious man whose collection of bizarre sunglasses I totally envy.



Jeff Davies wears rad barrettes and I'm totally jealous of his hair.



...and of course, I would never leave out the magnificent Dandy Warhols!!

 Zia McCabe is my spirit animal

 Kelley Deal from the Breeders makes a cameo appearance!!

Dude, can I have that shirt??

Damn good stuff. Off to listen to Give It Back and Thank God for Mental Illness, over and out.

5 comments:

Kaye said...

Yay, so glad you liked it. BJM are amazing as well. If you want to see more of Anton, he has a UStream as well, it's a bit weird. http://www.ustream.tv/user/antonnewcombe

Kaye

olivias-pizzaz said...

I watched this last year in my media studies class! Its soo good!!

- B said...

such a great film. BJM are aamazing live, the show was delayed bc anton set something on fire?! so we all had to be evacuated, but i think that was all part of the excitement. thanks for sharing. x - http://uberbeige.blogspot.com

Kelly-Ann said...

Oh my god, memory lane! I loved this rockumentary (yes, portmanteaus for the win) when it first came out and had the poster in my kitchen. I need to watch it again now.

OneMousesFox said...

I thought I'd write you this song, maybe I'd make you smile, your blog rocks you should check my friends jewelry i think you'd dig it ( http://www.verameat.com/ )