Thursday, September 01, 2011

Portrait of a Generation: The Love Parade Family Book

I first read about the book "Portrait of a Generation: The Love Parade Family Book" over on James' blog Swallow Glitter, and I knew just from the hilariously clueless images he posted that I just HAD TO BUY this book. It celebrate the glory days of The Love Parade in the mid-1990s, back when it was this crazy festival that happened every year in Germany, where freaks would descend to the city of Berlin en masse and just dress really weird, get stoned and dance to techno music. Sounds like fun!

Photographer Alfred Steffen captured hundreds of kids at the Love Parade but only the most unique got published in the book. The overall aesthetic of most of the subjects is heavily dated to the 1990s raver scene, but some of the outfits are just so plain bizarre that I had to share. VIVE LA RAVE!






PS - You voted for Isabel yet today? Giddy up 'n' get going!

14 comments:

D♥R said...

LOVE

Laumika said...

That's a must have book. Is going straight to amazon shopping cart.

Cat said...

Didn't people die there one year?? You should come to England and spend a few days at the download festival :D ITS AMAZING.

Louise Parker said...

Hey, your 'vote for Isabel' text link sends me to the Love Parade wikipedia page, by the way.

(I've become really emotionally invested in you winning this competition haha!)

luciussomesuch said...

lol This is so awesome and terrible at once. --I love the rave aesthetic, but from a quiet contemplative distance.

I'm more partial to the later 90s incarnations of this look; some of these, from the vantage of today, look 'grungy' even tho at the time I daresay the participants thought they were anything but.

Love the girl with the Xtina circa-2003 thing going on. I'll have to add this to the to-get list!

De said...

Yes we did! I'd love to see your magazine 'bigger, better and brighter'. When it become a big thing, you'll need us as your journalist support. I can be your secret correspondent form Central Europe ^^

Anonymous said...

Who is that woman in the background of the "weirdo's vote" picture? P.S -I voted for you!

olivias-pizzaz said...

ooomg that book looks soo cool, I'm so glad you have shared this! Ive been voting for you!! Really hope you win!

Eline said...

So weird, I totally remember the Love Parade fuss from when I was a kid. Never, ever would I have thought I'd be fashionably nostalgic thing to love.

louise or valentine said...

have you ever read a book called "geek love?"
i think you'd be into it.

Magnet said...

looks like a cool book that could go on my never ending list of books to potentially purchase one day.

devorelebeaumonstre. said...

nice. xo

devorelebeaumonstre.com

death_sexxx said...

there are some really funny vids on youtube of a techno parade in berlin... think mad viking and even madder dance moves! ha!

Arabella said...

hahaha loved those photos!