Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Fashion Sweatpants

Hi, welcome to the new and improved fashion blog of Isabel B. Slone. I rarely wear make-up or bras and I've started wearing sweatpants outside the house. I must admit, blogging these days feels a bit like documenting a train wreck. Look at me, I'm wearing fashion sweatpants. I believe Alexander Wang pioneered the high fashion sweatpants look a few years ago, making it socially acceptable for women to leave the house looking like the sartorial equivalent of a flipbook: fancy top half, slobby bottom half.
Photobucket

I was originally in the market for these Lululemon pants, but their Christmas pop-up shop came up sadly short. I scoured the rest of the uptown block, visiting at least four other stores and getting consecutively more frustrated by each one's lack of heathered grey comfy yet stylish sweats. The last store I visited was American Apparel, who (surprise, surprise) had exactly what I was looking for: tri-blend leisure pants, for a fraction of the cost of wretched "Lulus."

Do I look like I'm wearing pajama pants? Yes. But so do half of the fashion editors on Jak and Jil that wear too much jewelry and pair their spiky heels and blazers with baggy grey pants. Just because I'm dancing to the Dum Dum Girls in my room and reading about video games in this ensemble instead of going to a Dior show doesn't mean that I'm any less with it.


Ok, I have to go to work now. Guess its time to put on some real pants.

22 comments:

Lauren said...

Hm, still not convinced on joggers. Can't say I ever want to own a pair!

Katrina said...

I agree with Lauren - even the name, sweatpants... ugh.

>'.'<

Hybrid Hunter said...

lol! what a funny post :) I love my sweatpants. Even if Karl Lagerfeld says that "Sweatpants are a sign of defeat."

--Izumi
Hybrid Hunter

Sarah-Mary said...

I'm quite partial to shamelessly wearing my tracksuit bottoms outdoors; team it with a face full of makeup you'll fool everyone into thinking you didn't leave the house in your pj's! x

Stephanie Marie said...

Girl, please. If anyone can pull off some sweatpants, it's you. You're not documenting a trainwreck, you're documenting a revolution! :)

Angie Bitchface said...

wow, $108 sweatpants?? how are those even marketable?

I've been tempted to wear sweatpants so much lately (for reference I only own one pair and those are strictly for running purposes), but I can't bring myself to do it, haha.

Wends said...

yeah boiii I wish I looked as good as you in sweat pants and no makeup

NADIA FOXYMAN said...

I've always secretly had a thing for wearing trackies with heels... must have come from some early 2000s galliano/dior vibes or something! love the outfit in the first pic... just kinda works! x

Michele said...

Haha I used to wear really ugly and baggy sweatpants because it was a bit of a trend here. Bit of a dark period for me style-wise:P

Allison said...

what. what. you do look chic. what.

ALTHOUGH it's kind of not fair, because you could look great in a burlap sack.

BUT you know

Stephanie said...

I support this, but I know from experience that it is a slippery slope. Pretty soon you'll be all, "Real pants? What are those I don't even??" and there's no telling where it will go from there.

Magnet said...

God, I bloody love the way you write on your blog. Very entertaining. I don't own any tracksuit pants, as I call them, and I don't plan on purchasing any in the near future. I have to say, you're doing a shockingly good job at looking decent in them. Oh, I just purchased the first two issues of PLANT magazine. :D

NIGEL NO TRENDS said...

Those shoes are so amazingly 90's Calvin Klein hideous

Istvan said...

Yeahya ...that's the way of writing, and that's what I'm talking about.

'Fuck this fashion thing, I am just going to start wearing... (whatever I want)' - in my opinion this is where writing and fashion begin.

However I am only interested in reading your writings which are quite enjoyable. Isabel, you may become a successful writer once.

mouse said...

i love both outfits actually which is a bit strange as i am morally opposed to sweatpants in so many, many ways.

Kailey said...

Gurl you are WERQING the sweatpants! I really love the new look for your blog as well xo

Pashupati said...

Ah ah, it's awesome!
My favorite is the first one, really cute and all!
And guess what? I'm wearing sweatpants with a pirate blouse right now! Let's share our blood :o

Justalazymorning said...

always so cute!
xoxo

Madeline said...

DUM DUM GIRLZ
reading about video games wut

Born for Joy said...

YOU ROCK THEM NICELY! I don't know how, but American Apparel seems to make the most sloth-like pieces of clothing into works of art @.@

OneMousesFox said...

I use to have a sweater just like that! but with three fine cats on it! played one show, put it down for a second, it's a cold winter now and days !

Cathy of Eyelash Growth Products said...

Great post huh? lol! I might try it also.