Thursday, January 05, 2012

Good Morning 2012

My inspiration wall, including cats, flowers, dandy chipmunks and quotes.

A lot has happened since I wrote my last post on the distasteful state of the fashion blogosphere! It seems to have resonated quite a bit with many people, as I am surprised and flattered by the outpour of support regarding such a critical post on the state of the fashion industry and 'independent' media. When you see something wrong, speak up don't shut up! My original post was edited and then reposted on the Toronto Standard, which led to my first paid writing gig ever.

First of all, on December 28th, I had a birthday! If you really must know, I'm 22.

Then, I was named one of the top stylemakers in Toronto of 2011 by the inimitable Sarah Nicole Prickett, also on the Toronto Standard.


New Years is a really weird time of year because you're supposed to be reflecting on the year that passed making all of these plans, ahem, "resolutions" for the year to come. This year I have decided to bypass all superstition and refuse to make any resolutions. New Years Eve itself was a strange occasion, as it is doomed to be when you're spending it in the small town you waited your whole life to escape. Somehow nights that are prescribed to be "fun" never live up to expectations, but I had the most marvelous day of December 31st with my best friend, the talented artist Shelby Seu.


 We spent the day recreating a traditional British Afternoon Tea, with scones and jam and finger sandwiches on a cake tray using fancy china teacups. We did the same thing last year after she had just come home from an exchange term in London (England, duh) which I guess makes it an annual tradition!

Then we made an insane gingerbread house that was loosely based on Hagrid's hut, complete with a Forbidden Forest and red food colouring for Ron Weasley's hair. This is probably one of those "you had to be there" moments, but there was nowhere else I'd rather be.

I'll be spending the rest of the year with my nose deep in books like this one (Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty) on fashion, art and nature. It's my last year of university, which means that in my program I get to write a THESIS and it is haunting my dreams already. Good thing I picked an awesome topic I really care about, or else those dreams would most certainly be nightmares.

15 comments:

Britte Geijer said...

December 28th is the best day for a birthday! It's mine to, but I turned 21.

And seriously, your last post was brilliant. Definitely summed up how I've been feeling about blogging/bloggers recently too.

Rachel said...

Happy Birthday Isabel! Your cake looks hilariously pink, like something you would get when you were 8 or something.

I didn't read your last post when you originally posted it (I've been kind of off blogging too) but your blog is EXACTLY the kind of blog I do want to read and the ones you are talking about are the ones I DON'T want to read. I used to read a lot of those big name blogs but...I dunno, you're a lot better at expressing this kind of stuff than I am. You're more inspirational, relatable, and likable than any of those girls sitting in the front row, wearing the super expensive clothes.

Back on topic to THIS post, congrats on being named a top sylemaker! You totally deserve it.

Meagan said...

No way. I totally got that McQueen book for Christmas! AHHH. Isn't it breathtaking? The designs are otherworldly. He inspires me so much to work in fashion.

Meli said...

Happy birthday! I love your gingerbreadhut, and Ron's hair is a little giggle-inducing. I'm glad to see that life is going well for you!

Rebecca Jane said...

I agreed so much with what you'd written, and I was so proud of you to see it on the Toronto Standard site - congrats!

kori said...

Oh, phew! December 23rd's post wasn't your last. :) I followed the link to it from Final Fashion and hung onto every word. Congratulations on the paid writing gig! I'm excited to read through your blog now and hope that there's still more to come! Happy New Year!

Madeleine said...

Oh my gosh the gingerbread house is amazing!!! And I have those squirrel prints from Etsy too! Which reminds me that I need to redo my inspiration wall too, yours looks very nice. Happy birthday!

Magnet said...

Happy belated birthday. Well, I'm glad you have decided to continue with your blog. Congratulations for all your recent achievements :)

Caroline Ergy Erg said...

Aww, hope you had a smashing Birthday :D you've had so many lovely things happen to you in 2012 already! Big well done on the Toronto style article :D the essay you wrote was really good by the way too(can't remember if i've told you already or not, haha!) Here's hoping lots more exciting things will happen over the year now!!
xxxxx

Allison Sparling said...

Our inspiration walls look eerily similar! I wish our tables did too... want gingerbread house please....

<3

PS: Your last post was amazing, & I'm trying to contruct the right words to explain how right you are.

Allison said...

Oops. That last comment was supposed to be from me!

rachel said...

1) That Alexander McQueen book looks insane, could you scan some pages on here? and 2) Your friend is a seriously amazing artist, her work is really beautiful.

www.brooklyn-wolf.blogspot.com

Roma said...

happy birthday! I have the mcqueen book aswell! I got it at the exhibit in new york. definitely one of the most mind blowing experiences of my life. McQueen was (and is) a visionary.

Anonymous said...

your life is so Gilmore Girls!

grace said...

pretty pink cake