Sunday, January 22, 2012

Julia Butterfly Hill


It is hard to imagine loving someone whose convictions are so strong that they are willing to live and die according to their beliefs. There aren't too many Joan of Arcs walking around these days, so you can forget that convictions so strong do exist until you realize that Julia Butterfly Hill lived in a tree called Luna for 738 days. She first climbed Luna, a thousand year old Redwood tree near Stafford, California in December 1997 and did not come down until 1999, when Pacific Lumber Co. agreed to preserve the tree and all others within a 200 foot buffer zone.

Julia describes what it is like to live on a small platform 180 feet above the ground in her book, The Legacy of Luna, and not to wreck the book for you, but its absolutely terrifying. The lumber company tried to starve her out of the tree and she nearly died in the violent windstorms which are very different when you are not planted safely on the ground. Throughout it all, she fielded a media wildfire making her the poster child of the environmental movement for years to come. Not only is she a beautiful woman whose strong convictions make her unique, she has a beautiful heart whose perseverance and dedication knows no bounds. We could all take a lesson in finding our passion and purpose in life from Julia Butterfly Hill.






14 comments:

jenny (penniless zen) said...

wow, loved this post, the choice of pictures and your description. thank you for reminding me about julia butterfly hill.

Magnet said...

That is incredible, she actually stayed in that tree for so long. I'm so glad that there are people out there who will actually go to 'extremes' aka actually DO something for what they believe in. What an extraordinary woman.

Laura said...

Wow, this is inspiring! I could never do this. am jealous of how free she must have felt up in that tree, apart from all the danger. I have often imagined living in a tree. I love the idea of living in an adult size Tree house, raised up among the trees. Something like these:

http://dornob.com/100-year-treehouse-will-take-a-century-to-be-completed/

http://dornob.com/new-tree-cabin-features-rooftop-deck-top-down-entry/

http://dornob.com/the-birds-nest-fantastic-treehouse-room-in-a-forest-hotel/

Kailey said...

Ahh, what an incredibly story! I am definitely going to track down her book - thank you so much for sharing this with us!

Allison said...

This is actually amazing. There are so many questions I want o ask (namely, washroom?) but I guess I'll have to put the book on hold at the library! It's hard to have such strong convictions nowadays because it's hard to determine what's a distraction. Ugh.

Thanks for the loveliest comment. It made me glow.

Madeline Quaint said...

Do you know Italo Calvino's book, The Baron in Trees? It's about a baron (surprise here) who decides to live atop trees in the days when Italy was still mostly covered by forests... Calvino is my favourite writer and his images are always present in my memory.

Although I've never heard of this wonderful woman, I won't ever forget her now. How Brave.

Angie Bitchface said...

hey, I remember her! that last picture is terrifying

Anonymous said...

That's so amazing, thanks for sharing.

Caroline Ergy Erg said...

This is amazing, i'm definitely gunna read more about her. The photos are beautiful too :D
xxx

SymbioticLife said...

I remember learning about her but would be fascinated to read the book. I'm fairly sure my oldest daughter knows nothing about her but would find her fascinating as she already wants to live in a tree. Fantastic photo choices.

Milla said...

I remember just being blown away by her when I first read her book. What a wicked awesome role model. Perseverence and courage and radiance all the damn way. By the way, if you haven't seen "If A Tree Falls" I highly recommend it. I bet you'd get a kick out of it.

The Other Sister of Death said...

I WANT YOU

to join my giveaway!


..But only if you like to! ;-)


http://theothersisterofdeath.blogspot.com/2012/01/giveaway.html


Besides, I'm quite happy you continue blogging, because I've always liked your blog and found it really inspiring. Although we're not on the same side when it comes to Tabi Boots.. X-)

Rebecca Jane said...

HOw did I not know about this lady? She sounds absolutely incredible!

Pansy Lane said...

Butterfly! Aww I love her.