Monday, January 30, 2012

My Beautiful New Bright Pink Boots

After the slew of balmy days in December/January, Old Man Winter likes to playfully remind you of his presence by shoving his steel-toed boot up your arse, cackling “Honey, I’m home!” Whenever this happens, I am usually stopped dead in my tracks, forced to wander around for the next few months like a deer in the headlights, wearing an insufficient pair of slippery-soled Doc Martens (they’re secondhand, okay?) I haven’t owned a pair of half decent winter boots since my pride and joy broke on me in 2009 and since then each winter I’ve been making do with ill-fitting substitutes purchased from a thrift store for no more than $10.

But this time, I’m going to laugh right back in Old Man Winter’s face when he comes a-creeping. That’s because I bought a pair of real (capital-w) Winter boots. They are bright pink Sorel monstrosities, and I knew I had to own them when the only pair in the store was my size. They were $90 at discount depot Winners, usually Sorels will set you back around $130 so I consider them a minor deal.

Now, not only will my feet be able to withstand slush and subzero temperatures but the colour will beat away those winter blues. I like being the girl wearing tacky bright pink boots when everyone else is swathed in black, just waiting for the cold weather to subside. I know some people will shake their heads at me in disapproval, but if I can make just a few people smile then it’ll be ok.

22 comments:

Allison said...

I love it when you find creative ways to mix fashion and function. I'm still shuffling through the snow in my doc martens, or worse, saddle shoes. Pink Sorels are such a great find!

The Awkward Indie Girl said...

These add such a great blast of color to a dreary winter day!

rimatambunan said...

wow the shoes are very bright, love it!

ZombieLace said...

Congrats on finally treating your poor little toesies with respect and keeping them warm this year. And how better to keep them warm than in neon pink??

mouse said...

those are gorgeous :)

Girl With A Pearl Earring said...

Ahh, these would definitely make me smile.

Rachel said...

I constantly compliment strangers on brightly colored winter gear. You need something cheerful to brighten up the gloomy winter! Love the boots.

Magnet said...

Hot/Neon pink is basically my favourite colour, so no laughing from me. I approve! When I was in Buffalo, snow boots looked so bad, I refused to buy any, especially since I wasn't there for too long. They aren't so bad though, the colour really helps the cause.

meg said...

hot pink boots! awesome. i've never really had a proper pair of functional snow boots and just rely on my docs all the time, but these are super fun.

Anna said...

I must say, you write really beautifully.

SymbioticLife said...

I say, "rock it. rock it hard" with those bright pink beauties. I love a good pop of color in the winter slush. Mine are turquoise. ;)

Michelle said...

I have the same boots in houndstooth! After years of cold, wet feet and slipping on sidewalks, I finally invested in decent winter boots and I've never looked back. This is the first time I've seen the pink ones and I love them!
Michelle
neonrattail.blogspot.com

Flow Disruption said...

Bright colours make winter so much more bearable! I wish I had neon coloured snow boots! ;)

I really love your blonde hair. I recently dyed mine as well and now that the roots are comin' in, I really like it. Did you dye the roots at first?

Rebecca Jane said...

Oh my gosh, these are AMAZING. I love my sorels, but they are just plain black with a bit of houndstooth. These are bright fantastic and absolutely awesome.

blue roses said...

haha, i love your description of attempting to navigate through winter in ill-suited boots. reminds me of when i lived in ithaca, attempting to get by certain evenings in ballet flats. fail.

great boots!

http://dallianceswithsuitsandskirts.blogspot.com/

MyBloodyFox said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Florencece said...

fine shoes

xoxo
florencece.blogspot.com

OneMousesFox said...

since we both have them, we should have synchronized puddle jumping !

Justalazymorning said...

lovely!!
xoxo

ZoƩ said...

Not really my style, but very cool and they certainly look warm... on that note, maybe I should invest in a pair. :)

Cess said...

Wow. just wow... These boots are so cute (and they are functional, as someone pointed out). AND THEY ARE BRIGHT PINK!!! really cool.

iyerkaren said...

Them shoes omg <3