Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Here Comes the Summer



I've started to realize that my style is a lot more "simple" than a lot of other bloggers. I still really like loud music and bright colours, but somehow that doesn't really translate into dyeing my hair 8 different colours and piling on the jewelry. The grungier side of me just really cares about comfort more than everything else, and you'll never see me slipping on some sunglasses and 4 inch heels just to take outfit photos in. This is just actually what I wear! The floral sleeveless shirt is a total 90s grunge piece, and I'm happy to pair it with a comfy pair of denim shorts.

The cardigan is just a basic one from American Apparel but it has a MERMAID on the back, which was hand-screenprinted and kindly sent to me by Marty May on Etsy. Isn't it the coolest thing ever?

I've been dying for a pair of 70s steez Kork-Ease platforms, but they are impossible to find (and also expensive) so I settled on these flatform substitutes from Lucky Brand. It'll be fun to stomp around this summer, a few inches taller than usual!

On another note, can't you just smell the summer in these photos? I'm wearing shorts! And sandals! It's exciting! But also weird! Climate change, what?!

20 comments:

Musical Lynn said...

I like your style!! :D

Meagan said...

love the mermaid and the flatforms!!!! I've been looking for awesome Birkenstock-y-flatforms for a super long time now. It's so hot here that I can't wear closed-toed shoes anymore. It's really great.

Girl With A Pearl Earring said...

The mermaid is just wonderful! Incredibly summery.

Rachel said...

This really isn't ok. You're in Canada where it's supposed to be all cold and I am not but you have amazing summer type weather while it is snowing here. Seriously, not fair.

You look cute though! I love the shoes.

Anonymous said...

I like that you don't dress like the other bloggers; they all look alike any way. Love your style!

flowercake said...

That cardigan is really cool. Check out my blog!
flowercakemoon.blogspot.com

Fifi said...

I like your grungy side

Never change :)

- Fifi

Elessandra said...

You are dazzling. Any mermaid must be jealous of your beauty.

Those shoes are swell, even if they're not the 'real deal'.

Justalazymorning said...

cute cute cuteee

Peacock's Hat said...

I feel a bit like that too, especially now I work full time and on my days off can't really be arsed to wear anything really high maintenance. And in the week I come home, take off my uniform and put on a band tee shirt and my jeans.
I LOVE that mermaid cardigan. I may have to purchase it. Have you seen my mermaid ring?

bravegrrl said...

cutie sandals :)

rachel said...

The climate change is bananas this year, it's been 65ish degrees in New York for almost two weeks, there's usually still snow on the ground in April!

www.brooklyn-wolf.blogspot.com

Low Couture said...

I just started blogging last month, but I've also been feeling like: is my personal style not exciting enough? after seeing other more "colorful" bloggers' style. reading this post has reminded me that my favorite kind of style says a lot, through less. I love your style! It's so inspiring to be able to wear only a few beautiful, simple articles of clothing...

Peter @ http://low--couture.blogspot.com

chloe said...

Your style blog was one of the first that I stumbled upon, and I think your style used to be loads different but it still has that same comfort, I don't really care aspect to it. That's what I like. There're soooo many bloggers who obviously try too hard and don't wear that stuff out in public. I like you cause it's all believable...and because you wear clothes with mermaids on them!

Angie Bitchface said...

ooh I REALLY love that shirt! is it vintage? I feel like this is going to be the inspiration photo for at least 33% of what I wear this summer.

sight said...

Your hair looks great in plaits!
I appreciate the fact you only show what you really wear and don't do "photo shoot" like posts!

Miriam said...

looove your sandals <3

Magnet said...

Sometimes I think I dress a lot more simply than a lot of bloggers too, especially some of my favourite bloggers. Oh well, you gotta do what you gotta do. Although your style is quite simple, well these days it seems to be. To me, it still has this... quirky, unique, character to it. It's nice :)

thekittenswhiskers said...

Those flatforms are so nice!

Laila x

thekittenswhiskers.blogspot.com

Emma said...

Amazing flatforms! Man, I really wish I could find me a pair haha.